Anyone done Linked Capacity Plus yet?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wavetar
Administrator

Anyone done Linked Capacity Plus yet?

Post by wavetar »

I've been tasked with getting a 3 site (1 repeater at two of the sites, 2 repeaters at the third site) system up & running...and have a day & a half to do it! Always a rush! Anyway, if anyone's gone through the config, both from a repeater programming aspect & router config aspect, I'd love to hear from you.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Anyone done Linked Capacity Plus yet?

Post by com501 »

Download the newest system planner for sure, and look at the training video that came out.

Good luck. Our stuff gets here in a few weeks...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

com501 wrote:Download the newest system planner for sure, and look at the training video that came out.

Good luck. Our stuff gets here in a few weeks...
Oh yes, I have the system planner. However as you know, it tends to say an awful lot about insignificant details that have nothing to do with actual configuration & implementation. I got a LOT more out of the Linked Capacity Plus workshop powerpoint that a fellow from the dealer support line emailed me. I will also check out the video you mentioned, thanks.

Edit - where is that video, by the way? Can't seem to locate it...
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

It is indeed the ppt. I thought it was a video like the WTF? series. But the powerpoint explained a lot.
jsilberberg

Post by jsilberberg »

So how did it go ? Are you doing data on it ?
J. Silberberg
CompuDesigns, Inc.
Atlanta, GA.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

jsilberberg wrote:So how did it go ? Are you doing data on it ?
It went pretty good, actually. Since we provided a 'closed' network, there was no NAT required, so no need to provide routers capable of "hairpinning" like the product planner stipulated, as all IP's were directly routeable to/from the Master. So, I used some Cisco RV082 routers that I'm familiar with. Also, voice only...at least for now...and two single repeater sites for now. When the third 'two repeater' site is added, we may look at adding some GPS capability for some mobiles.

I played around with some ASA5505 routers beforehand (hairpinning capable, apparently) and was sent a configuration document from a Moto engineer on the MSR2020 router set up...both beyond my limited I.T. knowledge & skills.

The repeater & field radio programming was pretty straight-forward...just a handful of wide area talkgroups.

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

And ya gotta love Motorola...turns out both recommended routers for Linked Capacity Plus in the system planner cause issues, so they released this FSB:

Code: Select all

SUBJECT: MOTOTRBO™ Linked Capacity Plus (LCP) system - Multiple issues as outlined in the symptoms
section.
MODELS / SYSTEMS AFFECTED:
Any MOTOTRBO™ LCP R1.9 and R2.1 System installations with D-Link® EBR-2310 with hardware (HW) version C1
used as a master site router or Cisco® ASA 5505, as suggested in the MOTOTRBO™ system planner from August 2012
or earlier.
Note 1: D-Link® EBR-2310 devices with HW version B1 are not affected.
SYMPTOMS:
One or more of the following symptoms may be caused by the above issue:
1. Remote RDAC connection may not show Peer repeaters at Master Site.
2. The Rest channel at Master site does not switch to Peer Repeaters at that site when 2 or more calls are initiated
at Master site.
3. Two or more wide-area calls are not repeated on intended wide-area sites.
CAUSE:
The D-Link® EBR-2310 HW version C1 router or Cisco® ASA 5505 may not support hair-pinning/NAT loop back and full
cone NAT capabilities, required for proper LCP operation.
RESOLUTION:
To resolve symptoms listed above, replacement of the D-Link® EBR-2310 (HW version C1) or Cisco® ASA 5505 router
with a router which supports hair-pinning/NAT loop back and full cone NAT capabilities.
Motorola Solutions, Inc. has identified that the Hewlett Packard (HP) MSR20-20 router does support all these
requirements and, thus, can be used as an instead of the D-Link® EBR-2310 or Cisco® ASA 5505 devices. The HP
MSR20-20 router, in conjunction with a switch, may be used at all sites within the system.
Note 2: A switch is required because the HP MSR20-20 router does not have multiple Ethernet port connections.
Note 3: Multisite LCP systems do not work in LAN/VLAN/VPN/Tunneling IP topologies without hair-pinning configuration
at the master site.
Note 4: The system planner has also been updated to remove the reference to the D-Link® and Cisco in the Linked
Capacity Plus section in revision V (6880609T12-V) available via download from MOL.
A configuration guide, MOTOTRBO LCP HP MSR 20-20 Router Configuration Guide, has been created to assist with
user configuration of the HP MSR-2020 devices. This configuration guide is available via download from Motorola
OnLine (MOL) at the following location: Resource Center> Product Information> Systems> MOTOTRBO> Conventional
Operation folder.
Additionally, a software tool has been developed that will allow users to test devices to ensure that they support hairpinning/
NAT loop back and full cone NAT capabilities. This tool and procedures to use this tool are also available via
download from MOL at the same location as the configuration guide. Both the executable tool and procedures are
included in the zip file named LCP Router Test Procedure.
SEVERITY RECOMMENDATION:
High – Perform Immediately

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I think it's more probably that the Moto droids just don't understand how to configure their routers. I do hairpinning with ASA all the time. Full-cone NAT is an antiquated term for static NAT, which the ASA has always supported. Other than certain minor irritations (like no DHCP reservations... grumble...) the ASA will do just about anything.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”