Sending a CallAlert to a group ?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tdilab
What radios do you own?: XPR, GM, GP, MCS

Sending a CallAlert to a group ?

Post by tdilab »

Hi,

I am dealing with a customer wanting to retain some of the features of his previous system.
That is to be able to page a given individual or "a group of individuals".

Is there a way to initiate "Call Alert" to a group of users (Talk Group) and to have each of radios ring upon the call ?

Thanks
/DT
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Sending a CallAlert to a group ?

Post by escomm »

That's what a Group Call in MotoTRBO is....
tdilab

Post by tdilab »

Hi,
Thx for your answer.

Private Call and Group Call will optionally emit a short tone prior to unmuting the speaker on the Subscriber terminal.

What I am looking for is a different behavior. As for "Call Alert", I want to be able to "Page" a group of users. That is :

Subscriber A, press a button to initiate the "Call Alert" to a group.
All Subscribers part of the target group hear their terminal Ring for the duration of the "Call Alert Tone Duration" timer as set in the CPS.
Pressing the PTT would initiate a call back to the targeted group.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Call Receive Tone (Digital Call)

This alert tone sounds on the receiving radio prior to unmuting during a Private Call, Group Call, or All System Call. This is to notify the user that the radio is unmuting. This feature is set on a per-call basis.

Notes
The Disable All Tones feature must be disabled.

This feature is available only when the Digital feature is enabled in the device.
Seems that is exactly what you asked for in the OP.

Now, let's go to the RX Group Lists section of the CPS:
Members (Digital Group List)
Lists all Digital Groups which the radio is a member of (or subscribed to) on channels which the list is attached to. When the channel selected has this list attached, if the radio receives a group call that is addressed to any one of its subscribed groups, the radio will participate in that group call (i.e. it will unmute for incoming transmissions and talkback when the PTT is pressed).

Notes
This feature is available only when the Digital feature is enabled in the device.
OK, so now it comes out that you want to set the timer for how long it rings. This means whoever sends the call has to know to wait some specified period of time before actually talking, after initiating the call.
tdilab

Post by tdilab »

Hi,
Private call, and Group Call all works fine. But this is not what is required.
I would like to be able to page a group of users. Similarly to the "Call Alert", upon pressing a button, I'd like to make a group of Radios to Ring.
Then, it will be up to the individual to talk back to the dispatcher.

Shows how to link a Call Alert to an individual

Shows how linking a Call Alert to a group is not offered

Thx/DT
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I understand what you're saying. But you can't do that in digital. From the help file:
Allows the user to initiate Call Alert via the menu. Call Alert allows the user to alert another user, requesting that they call back the user (call initiator) when they (recipient) become available. Call Alert can only be received when the channel is free.

This paragraph is applicable to MOTOTRBO Conventional radios. In Digital Mode, the user can only initiate a Call Alert to an individual radio. In Analog mode, the destination ID can be a Private, Group or All Call ID.
Digital call alerts and analog call alerts are not the same thing is what I'm getting at here.
tdilab

Post by tdilab »

Thanks Escomm,
Looks like that it could have been implemented in Digital in a "non-confirmed mode".
I guess we'll have to wait for a hypothetical firmware upgrade...
/DT
Dave518

Post by Dave518 »

A text message sent to the group would cause all of the radios to alert.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you just want all of the radios to alert at once?
tdilab

Post by tdilab »

Hi Dave,
Exactly. One can address a text message to a TalkGroup which will make terminals rings for as long as "Text Message Alert Tone Duration".
Similarly, I need to be able to send a "Call Alert" to a group of users and have the terminal Ring. Upon such, the drivers will pay attention to the dispatcher's voice content. Otherwise users are running their audio very low and do not monitor the traffic.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”