Faulty channel switches on 6000 series

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jeff3187
New User

Faulty channel switches on 6000 series

Post by Jeff3187 »

So my company has a few clients who own a large number of xpr 6550s, they bought these radios about a year ago maybe a year and a half. Just about every radio has a faulty channel switch (every time you put pressure on the switch the channel will change). Has anyone else had this problem? Has motorola addressed this in a service bulletin? This is happening on at least 400 radios and we have just been sending to the factory 10 at a time, the only things being changed are the channel switch and sometimes the chassis.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Faulty channel switches on 6000 series

Post by wavetar »

Yes, it's a common issue and a Motorola acknowledges the problem. I know they were actively looking for another supplier a couple of years ago. I believe they have a new switch part# within the last year or so, hopefully it means a better switch is replacing the defective ones you're sending in. I don't recall a service bulletin, but I just may not have seen it.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

I'm about to start sending some of mine back in batches. I havn't seen the actual service bulletin but our local shop said there is one and that he would send them in for us. The worst problem we are having with our 6550 models is that all have lost the "tactical click" on/off of the volume knob. We've also had a number of them with the "channel" knob problem also.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Are they all bad, or just a specific batch? EG Jan 2011-July 2011. GARY
Forts

Post by Forts »

I too have seen a few 6350's & 6550's that have no 'click' at all while turning the radio on/off. Obviously doesn't really affecting anything, but it's kind of annoying for some reason haha
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The early volume pots had issues with retaining their clicks. I recall an FSB was issued but I could be wrong. The pots they are using now have too much click, IMHO. There is no middle ground with these guys. Everything is black or white. Oh Wel

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”