XPr8400 Repeater

Moderator: Queue Moderator

johnny1225

XPr8400 Repeater

Post by johnny1225 »

I have a new mall that i have installed a UHF XPR8400 repeater complete with XPR3300 UHF Portable Radios. The problem with the system is repeater will only tx sometimes. Thinking it was a faulty repeater right out of the box i installed a loaner XPR8400 but it is doing the exact same thing. I notice that if you look at the XPR8300 the light is flashing green alot of the time. When the green flashing light stops you can tx again with no problem an full coverage of the mall. My question is should i change the frequency it looks to like to me that someone in the area is kicking them right off the air.. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks John
Bill_G

Re: XPr8400 Repeater

Post by Bill_G »

Have you listened to the input in analog? Have you done a license search? Are you merely upgrading a customer from an existing analog repeater to digital, or is this new? If existing, did they have co-channel interference prior to this?
johnny1225

Post by johnny1225 »

This is a brand new system they never had radios before. Industry Canada here in Toronto gave us that frequency to use. I have another 3 frequency that they gave us that we can use in the digital format.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well, that's good you have alternate freqs to work with. I'd still put an earball on it to be sure what is going on so you can put it in the record why you chose a different channel.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

So uh, what's your admit criteria in the subscribers? What exactly have you done to narrow it down to the repeater? Have you gotten your spectrum analyzer out and sniffed the air?
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We always program our MOTOTRBO repeaters with an analog channel and have a "test dongle" we plug into the accessory connector to channel steer to the analog channel. On the dongle we have a discriminator test point where we can attach our test audio amp to monitor the RX.

We then perform a site noise (a test that should be done with every repeater install and PM check). At that time we listen for co-channel interference and any other anomalies. I will usually monitor for at least 30-miniutes.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RFguy wrote:We always program our MOTOTRBO repeaters with an analog channel and have a "test dongle" we plug into the accessory connector to channel steer to the analog channel. On the dongle we have a discriminator test point where we can attach our test audio amp to monitor the RX.

We then perform a site noise (a test that should be done with every repeater install and PM check). At that time we listen for co-channel interference and any other anomalies. I will usually monitor for at least 30-miniutes.
Sweet idea.

Thx
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

Might also look at the RSSI Threshold setting on the repeater. The default can sometimes be close to the existing noise floor and not allow the repeater to transmit.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”