Mix Mode XPR's is coming now nexedge has P25 upgrade options

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ki4gyw

Mix Mode XPR's is coming now nexedge has P25 upgrade options

Post by ki4gyw »

Looks like the batwing is kinda playing catch up in a way there is just now support for mixed mode coming out soon, Kwood has a p25 upgrade option on the market for there nexedge radios, anyone think moto might offer that option in the future, the apx and xts series are the premier p25 stuff but with kwood slashing the market and funding limited in small county's, so some are heading to nexedge, with a possible p25 future down the road. I kinda think its kinda up in the air. I know we have kwood beat with applications.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Mix Mode XPR's is coming now nexedge has P25 upgrade options

Post by escomm »

1) Who told you NXDN was going to be P25 compatible? This is a little weird since NXDN uses a 6.25KHz carrier, FDMA modulated, and P25 is a 12.5KHz carrier with C4FM modulation.

2) When is mixed mode coming out for TRBO, and how exactly is it going to work? The webinar yesterday went over emergency interrupt, QCII and RDACS...nothing I heard about mixed mode....
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

escomm wrote:1) Who told you NXDN was going to be P25 compatible? This is a little weird since NXDN uses a 6.25KHz carrier, FDMA modulated, and P25 is a 12.5KHz carrier with C4FM modulation.

2) When is mixed mode coming out for TRBO, and how exactly is it going to work? The webinar yesterday went over emergency interrupt, QCII and RDACS...nothing I heard about mixed mode....
Kenwood has an option to upgrade the NXDN units to P25, it's an upgrade(downgrade to some) to the AMBE DSP. The NXDN will not work after that, and you also loose the LTR.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

n7maq wrote:
escomm wrote:1) Who told you NXDN was going to be P25 compatible? This is a little weird since NXDN uses a 6.25KHz carrier, FDMA modulated, and P25 is a 12.5KHz carrier with C4FM modulation.

Kenwood has an option to upgrade the NXDN units to P25, it's an upgrade(downgrade to some) to the AMBE DSP. The NXDN will not work after that, and you also loose the LTR.

Jim
Yup, confirmed that NXDN units can be flashed to P25. I also have not heard anything about mixed-mode for TRBO.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep... you can also buy the radios brand-new in P25 config. For those running P25 conventional (for now), a sub-$1K, 512-channel P25 mobile radio is a pretty sweet arrangement. P25 Trunking coming soon...
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

tvsjr wrote:Yep... you can also buy the radios brand-new in P25 config. For those running P25 conventional (for now), a sub-$1K, 512-channel P25 mobile radio is a pretty sweet arrangement. P25 Trunking coming soon...

They seem like good units, they look just like the TK-x180 mobiles.

We have a bunch of the 5220 portables in right now going to a smaller fire dept. With the WSCA pricing the HT's are under $900.00. The audio sounds great on both TX, and RX. Kenwood does allow you to tailor the RX audio. I have not seen anywhere the enable FPP, but that is not to say they don't have it. I have not been to class on them yet so I can't say for sure on the FPP.

Jim
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep, same chassis. The TK-7180, NX-700, and TK-5720 are all the same. I've owned, used, or programmed the conventional and NXDN versions and have been very impressed - we have 7180s in all our fire apparatus, and I've got dozens of 2180s in the field. Most excellent radios.
ki4gyw

Post by ki4gyw »

They mentioned the mix mode would be working in the xpr8300's pretty soon. the radios don't support mixed mode. Sorry for not clarifying that.
I like the mix mode repeater idea, since kenwood slashed the market we have to be able to keep up with them.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Ok, in the latest literature for the MTR3000, it addresses mixed mode operation:
When I upgrade a MTR2000 to MTR3000 can I use both analog and digital subscribers on the same station?

Yes, you can use either analog subscribers or digital subscribers on one station but not on a call-by-call basis (the repeater must be programmed for either digital or analog operation). The Dynamic Mixed mode software feature will be available in Q3 10 which allows both analog and digital subscribers to use the same repeater on a call-by-call basis.
I haven't seen anything in writing for the XPR's yet, but if it's going to be in one, it will probably be in the other.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”