Motorola and Ma/Com Encryption.

Have a question or information regarding interfacing or interoperating Motorola digital radios with models from other manufacturers? Here's the place to do so.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

blackrifleguy

Motorola and Ma/Com Encryption.

Post by blackrifleguy »

My general question is this:

Is the encryption used in a Motorola Astro Saber compatable with Ma/Com encryption?

To explain:

My county is switching to a Ma/Com, P25, digital, trunked radio system in the T-band. The county's police tactical team will be using this new system, but with encryption. My tactical medics suport this team but need to supply our own radio (Long story). We already have a Motorola Astro Saber (With encryption) for another team we support and it fits all the general parameters for the new radio system but nobody can tell us if the Motorola and Ma/Com encryption is compatable.

I am now dipping into the Batboard's well of knowledge for a straight answer.

Thanks in advance.
libuff

Re: Motorola and Ma/Com Encryption.

Post by libuff »

i would loosely answer, depending on the encryption scheme. i believe, although no formal education supports this, that if they are using DES on the p25, system, then any DES on such system with the correct code would work.

having said, that, my disclaimer is that you have received information about encryption, from someone who is FAR more knowledgeable of other facets, than encryption. :D
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

APCO-25 calls out 4 forms of encryption:
None
Single DES (56 bit key) (most of your smaller shops)
Triple DES (168 bit key) (not commonly used)
AES (up to 256 bit key) (the big boys like the FBI, Secret Service, etc.)

As far as I know, the MA-COM system is truly APCO-25 compliant, so will be running either DES or AES. If your radio will do those protocols, and has the right key(s), it should work.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
cablemonkey

Post by cablemonkey »

The ALGID identifi es the encryption algorithm used in the P25 system.

The ALGID is entered through a Key Management Facility or Key Loader when entering encryption keys.

The ALGID’s that have been defined for Type 1 algorithms are:

$00 ACCORDION 1.3
$01 BATON (Auto Even)
$02 FIREFLY Type 1
$03 MAYFLY Type 1
$04 SAVILLE
$41 BATON (Auto Odd)
$80 Unencrypted message (no encryption algorithm)
$81 DES-OFB encryption algorithm
$82 2-key triple DES encryption algorithm
$83 3-key triple DES encryption algorithm
$84 AES encryption algorithm
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Prior to earlier today, I'd never heard of anybody running anything other than DES/3DES/AES/Clear - while the other ALGIDs are defined I've never seen any requests from anybody to support them.

Then there is the mysterious 9F Cablemonkey had reported in another thread - we'll see if Motorola will tell me what that is (and if I will be able to tell you all.)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Wowbagger wrote:Prior to earlier today, I'd never heard of anybody running anything other than DES/3DES/AES/Clear - while the other ALGIDs are defined I've never seen any requests from anybody to support them.

Then there is the mysterious 9F Cablemonkey had reported in another thread - we'll see if Motorola will tell me what that is (and if I will be able to tell you all.)
Considering it seems the type 1 algos are included in a UCM along with AES/DESOFB, those users may simply be doing any testing/alignment using a type 3 algorithm, then switching over to type 1. If the radio is aligned properly and working with a type 3 algo, it should work fine with a type 1 - and it would keep you from having to deal with the CCI mess on a publicly-available service monitor.

There are definitely users in the wild making use of type 1 algos like SAVILLE, BATON, etc.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

There is also a type 1 encryption type called PADSTONE.

I don't know anything about it other than the name alone.

Except that it's never a good thing to find an XTS5K with the extra bolt head in the rear casting, where the circular feature in the
casting is normally located, about an inch from the bottom. That extra bolt head means "CCI", every time, as I understand it.

Elroy
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I thought that bolt thing was just something to do with the submersible option. I'm looking at my 5KR right now and it has it.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Elroy Jetson wrote:That extra bolt head means "CCI", every time, as I understand it.
Then your understanding is wrong. As mancow pointed out, that "bolt" is the vacuum port for ruggedized radios which are all rated to withstand a certian level of submersion.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Then I've learned something new today. That makes it a good day. Thanks!

I've only seen that bolt on CCI radios to this point. Which would explain why I associated the one with the other.

Elroy
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

tvsjr wrote:and it would keep you from having to deal with the CCI mess on a publicly-available service monitor.
Or more specifically, classification issues (the service monitor would become a classified item, unless it's designed in such a way as to allow it to be handled as UNCLASSIFIED CCI when unkeyed.)
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

A CCI XTS5000 has a CCI serialized sticker on the bottom where "ASTRO" normally is and the VOCON board has a PN for the Type I version (IIRC the MOL terminology). The CCI module has the same enc board size but it vastly different in components (it has a coin battery strapped to it, which is the obvious difference). I did't notice anything else different.
5-sides

Post by 5-sides »

Maestro consoles only support AES encryption, at least they were incapable of DES-OFB back in 2004. I don't see Tyco re-visiting older standards....

Also, Moto DES-XL was/is proprietary, so M/A-Com equipment could not work with it.
Reset Operator Head Space and Timing

Return to “Motorola Digital Radio Compatability”