UHF conventional Quantro P25 and Icom IC-F2721D P25 mobile

Have a question or information regarding interfacing or interoperating Motorola digital radios with models from other manufacturers? Here's the place to do so.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

oh2lak

UHF conventional Quantro P25 and Icom IC-F2721D P25 mobile

Post by oh2lak »

Hello list.

I just want to share my initial experience with my first not-Moto P25 gear. I got a Icom IC-F2721D UHF mobile radio which seems to be a very nice basic mobile radio.

We have a conventional UHF P25 repeater here made out of a Quantro. Transmitting from the Icom radio to the quantro works OK and all radios hear the transmission.
I ran into my first problem as I noticed that the Icom won't decode Quantros transmission. The IC-F2721D has a BER meter so I could determine easily that it was not receiving the signal properly, BER was up to 9-10% all the time.

What fixed that, was to change the Astro TX pulse from wide to narrow on the Quantar. Now the Icom also can hear transmissions repeated by the Quantar with BER less than 1%

I really can't say is ther somekind of disadvantage of using the narrow pulse, all radios seem to work ok.

Erik OH2LAK
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: UHF conventional Quantro P25 and Icom IC-F2721D P25 mobile

Post by n7maq »

Erik,

What firmware rev is in the Icom? I have heard of this before, and IIRC the fix was new firmware for the Icom.

Jim
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

n7maq wrote:Erik,

What firmware rev is in the Icom? I have heard of this before, and IIRC the fix was new firmware for the Icom.

Jim
I have to look at that later when I have the CPS attached to it. Good to hear that there would be a fix for that, I believe firmware upgrade on Icom is as expensive operation as it is for Mother M?

Erik OH2LAK
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi
rdunajewsk
What radios do you own?: Icom F5061, F6061D, F4161DT

Post by rdunajewsk »

oh2lak wrote: I have to look at that later when I have the CPS attached to it. Good to hear that there would be a fix for that, I believe firmware upgrade on Icom is as expensive operation as it is for Mother M?

Erik OH2LAK
The firmware updates from Icom are generally free. Ask an Icom dealer for the latest firmware. They may not want to help you if you're not an actual customer, buy some may help you. IIRC the latest firmware for the F2721 is 2.9 (analog) and 2.5 (digital).
Rich
Ham: N2DLX
GMRS: WQEJ577
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Rich is correct, the Icom firmware upgrades are free.

Return to “Motorola Digital Radio Compatability”