Encryption Compatibility Question (/\/\ and Icom)

Have a question or information regarding interfacing or interoperating Motorola digital radios with models from other manufacturers? Here's the place to do so.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

garrisonsan
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000, IC-F1721D

Encryption Compatibility Question (/\/\ and Icom)

Post by garrisonsan »

We're running a primarily VHF P25 digital conventional system from Motorola, but due to numerous issues with our local dealer, we've purchased several Icom F70s and an Icom F-1721D.

Basically, my question is this: Is the DES/AES encryption available from Icom compatible with any of the encryption options that /\/\ has available? My understanding is that DES-OFB is the P25 standard, but before we spend any money, I want to make sure that everything will work nicely together.

Thanks.
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

Re: Encryption Compatibility Question (/\/\ and Icom)

Post by Hartley »

If you use the Icom FIPS-compliant DES-OFB or AES, it should be compatible with any other FIPS-compliant unit, which would include Motorola. The only encryption algorithm that causes "inter-brand" problems is DES-XL, which is proprietary to Motorola, and is not often available in other brands.
garrisonsan
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000, IC-F1721D

Post by garrisonsan »

Thanks a bunch!
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Hartley wrote:If you use the Icom FIPS-compliant DES-OFB or AES, it should be compatible with any other FIPS-compliant unit, which would include Motorola. The only encryption algorithm that causes "inter-brand" problems is DES-XL, which is proprietary to Motorola, and is not often available in other brands.
FIPS 140 doesn't cover the actual cryptographic side of things at all, and it makes no assurances as to interoperability etc.

FIPS 140's scope is restricted to the security of the cryptographic module itself, so EMI/EMC for TEMPEST purposes, key management, tamper evidence/resistance etc.

Return to “Motorola Digital Radio Compatability”