xts/apx vehicle chargers

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

topcop1833

xts/apx vehicle chargers

Post by topcop1833 »

Does anyone know if the NNTN7624B (APX7k) charger and the WPLN4208B (XTS5k) are the same exact size? I'm looking to put the APX charger in my vehicle, replacing the XTS charger in my Jotto console.
Also, any rumors about an XTVA style adapter for the APX line?
resqguy911

Re: xts/apx vehicle chargers

Post by resqguy911 »

topcop1833 wrote:Does anyone know if the NNTN7624B (APX7k) charger and the WPLN4208B (XTS5k) are the same exact size? I'm looking to put the APX charger in my vehicle, replacing the XTS charger in my Jotto console.
Also, any rumors about an XTVA style adapter for the APX line?
1. They are identical. They also fit nicely next to each other in the double brackets made by Troy.
2. Nothing but rumors. AKA don't hold your breath.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The APX battery contacts are at the very bottom of the case, whereas the XTS contacts are higher up on
the battery. My 4114AR XTS charger requires an insert to charge my APX7K. That's as much as I can tell
you. Others will come in with more information, I'm sure.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
topcop1833

Post by topcop1833 »

thanks resquguy and tom!
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

We have the NNTN7686A inserts in the XTS5K ( WPLN4127AR ) rack charger to charge the APX7000 portables.
fineshot1
NJ USA
d119

Post by d119 »

For whatever it's worth, I seem to recall hearing that Motorola is DONE with convertacom's/VA's... Meaning none of the radios past XTS 5000 will have them. I think their take is to have you buy a mobile radio.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

On the Chester County, PA contract, Motorola quoted the APX4000, APX2000, APX4500 with O2 and O7 head AND the APX convertacom.

So they have committed to doing it for Chester in the contract.
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

our shop told us no convertacom for the apx7000.

does the chester county contract include a model number for the apx convertacom?

If it does, would you share it?

thanks in advance
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

Did Chester Co. ever get apx convertacoms?
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

turtle9832 wrote:our shop told us no convertacom for the apx7000.
I sure hope that is true. There is a reason why convertacoms are called convertacruds. :)

They take a nice HT and turn it into an expensive POS that breaks all too often.

If you need a mobile then buy a mobile.
fineshot1
NJ USA
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

As soon as some .gov agency wants a VA for the APX Motorola will bend over backwards to make it. Ive seen tons of XTVA's in the fed vehicles I service and our rate of failures with the units have been very low. I have one in my Jeep and use it daily for years and never had an issue.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

FireCpt809 wrote:As soon as some .gov agency wants a VA for the APX Motorola will bend over backwards to make it. Ive seen tons of XTVA's in the fed vehicles I service and our rate of failures with the units have been very low. I have one in my Jeep and use it daily for years and never had an issue.
That would be because they are likely Feds and do not get in and out of the vehicles at a prolific rate like the local Prosecutors I service
who are in/out of the vehicles at a fast clip and in this way they take a beating in short order.
fineshot1
NJ USA
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

Don't believe I have ever heard a convertacom called converatcrud.

Our convertacoms have outlasted two rounds of motorola mobiles. GM300's and now m1225's.

Our department cant afford to buy a whole bunch of APX mobiles and then the air time along with the air time for all of the APX 7000's

Just sayin
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The door's been left open for them to do it. Check this out the APX CPS help file:

Backlight While in VA
(Display, Advanced)

DEFINITION

Enables the radio's display to have its backlight continuously on when the radio is plugged into the Vehicular Adapter (VA). Any key press that would normally affect the status of the backlight is ignored. When the radio is removed from the VA, button presses affecting the backlight resume normal operation.

Vehicular Adapters apply only for portable radios.

ACCESSED ONLY

When the radio is model / option capable.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I forgot who told me, but supposely the APX ones are in the works or will be available. Also heard the cost was insane, but no number given.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mustanglane

Post by mustanglane »

XTVA's are most excellent in aircraft where you dont have the space, weight, power or TX Power requirements of a mobile. Really great for immediate interoperability - been using them since the days of System Saber with excellent results - then again, they are not used on a daily basis!
Regards,
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I'd love to know how an APX XTVA would work, what with the signal RF output on two bands.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Jeff,

Wouldn't a plain old dual band mobile antenna do the job? There appear to be a total of
3,298,733 models available, each of which is constantly argued about over on RR (G).

Regards,

Tom, W2NJS
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Actually, I was just reading in the basic service manual, and evidently there's an RF switch in the radio that can route the RF to the accessory jack. Two different bands to two different pins

o_O
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Jeff,

Wouldn't a plain old dual band mobile antenna do the job? There appear to be a total of
3,298,733 models available, each of which is constantly argued about over on RR (G).

Regards,

Tom, W2NJS
I think he was referring to the RF routing out of the radio to the vehicular adapter. IIRC if a radio was configured for VHF and any other band, and a public safety mic was used, the other band (UHF or 700/800) would be the only one routed to the antenna on the mic while VHF stayed on the radio.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”