XTS5000 Model III down to Model II...

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EindhovenOne
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTS5K, 2500, XPR7550

XTS5000 Model III down to Model II...

Post by EindhovenOne »

Hello, all. Looking to take an XTS5k from model III to model II because I won't need the keypad and I like the look of the II better (less clutter) other than the case and rubber keypad, and looking at the parts diagram, it seems that the only other thing needed is part 2685567D02 which is the actual keypad assembly for the model II in which the contacts for the 4-way pad are spaced out more when you delete the numpad.

Am I leaving anything out or would that be it? Thanks in advance for your time.

-E
Facta, Non Verba. Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: XTS5000 Model III down to Model II...

Post by MTS2000des »

EindhovenOne wrote:Hello, all. Looking to take an XTS5k from model III to model II because I won't need the keypad and I like the look of the II better (less clutter) other than the case and rubber keypad, and looking at the parts diagram, it seems that the only other thing needed is part 2685567D02 which is the actual keypad assembly for the model II in which the contacts for the 4-way pad are spaced out more when you delete the numpad.

Am I leaving anything out or would that be it? Thanks in advance for your time.

-E
nope, you got it. Check with Kotaguchi, he has or had just about everything you might need, model II cases, keypads, and shield/keypad assembly. Just plug, play and use the stuff we don't speak about to make the model change. and you're done.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
drdog
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, MICOM 2E

Post by drdog »

Wouldn't it just be easier to leave it a Model III and throw a Model II housing on it? It would still retain its Model III value and i'm sure the buttons can be programmed to function the same as a Model II in a Model II housing... I might have the parts you will need to make it a model II , I will check in the morning, PM me if you want, I have no use for the model II parts, if I still have them...
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

drdog wrote:Wouldn't it just be easier to leave it a Model III and throw a Model II housing on it? It would still retain its Model III value and i'm sure the buttons can be programmed to function the same as a Model II in a Model II housing... I might have the parts you will need to make it a model II , I will check in the morning, PM me if you want, I have no use for the model II parts, if I still have them...
First,the keypad boards are different, as are the housings. the model II "mouse" key is larger and round, the model III "mouse" key is elliptical. Not gonna work. You have to swap the housing, keypad board and keypad over. Then wave the magic wand....
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

You don't have to wave the magic wand. Its just a model 3 in a model 2 case. Don't program model 3 functions into. Save the old parts so it can be switched back if need be.

Jason

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”