Hi Pwr XTL5000 w/ 03 HHCH: Speaker Connection Shortcut

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

Hi Pwr XTL5000 w/ 03 HHCH: Speaker Connection Shortcut

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The XTL5000 hi power mobile with 03 HHCH normally requires the huge Accessory Cable, PMLN4959, just to get at the 2 wires needed for the speaker. Does anyone know if there is a Motorola cable & connector (or perhaps a 3rd party cable) that plugs into the big multi pin acc port on the front of the XTL5000, to bring out just the 2 speaker wires, and nothing else? I realize that such a cable and connector could be custom built, but I thought I'd first check to see if Moto makes such an animal. I searched here on the Batboard, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Hi Pwr XTL5000 w/ 03 HHCH: Speaker Connection Shortcut

Post by wavetar »

I've never played with the high powered version, but on the low power versions I've just used the regular 26-pin accessory plug & sourced the speaker audio from there to avoid the big cable if the transceiver was dash mounted with the O3. is the high powered XTL5000 different in that aspect?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The hi pwr XTL5000 has a big 26 pin connector on its front, but I was hoping Motorola perhaps made a nice plug to mate with this big connector, and then bring out a short pigtail, with just the speaker Molex connector on it. Since the medium powered XTL5000 has a nice small accessory connector on its rear apron, in this case (Medium Pwr) its speaker simply uses the small/compact HLN6863 ACC cable. This rear apron ACC connector incorporates a short pigtail, terminating with the standard Motorola speaker connector (Molex plug). On the other hand, with the high powered XTL5000, connecting up the speaker mandates the use of the PMLN4959, which involves a gigantic cable. IMHO, this is such overkill for just 2 speaker wires, as I have no need to bring all of the radio's ACC pins up to the front of the vehicle when using the 03 HHCH. I think the problem is that there is no ACC port on the rear of the high powered XTL5000, which is why one cannot use the smaller HLN6863 ACC cable by itself. There is no rear ACC port connector on the hi pwr XTL to directly connect to this small ACC cable. In fact, with the hi pwr radio using the 03 HHCH, in order to hook up the speaker, you not only need the gigantic PMLN4959 cable, but then you ALSO need the HLN6863 ACC cable anyways, connected to the end of the big PMLN4959, in order to finally bring out the speaker's 2-wire Molex connector. Argh!!!!!!!!!
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I made my own for this. Simple DB25 and shell from Radio Shack or your favorite electronics parts store. Don't forget that you have to run the igntion source to it as well. I am not aware of Motorola making a cable for this. You also have to deal with the speaker connector then too. If your not running a siren or some other accessory this is the way to go.

Jason
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Why do you need to run the ignition source if you are using the 03 HHCH? I know that with the Med Pwr radio and the 03 HHCH, you simply plug the 03 into the radio, with no ignition source wire needed. I thought the ig source was only needed with the 05 head?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

KB9KST, BTW, do you know the 2 pinouts on the DB-25 to support the speaker?

Thanks!
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

If you plan on using the ignition to turn the radio on and off you bet you better include that too. I'll look it up in a bit here. I know I have posted it on here before as well.

Jason
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yes, build your own DB25, works like a champ.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Thanks for all of your excellent help and info, Jason! Got your post on the pin out for the spkr (pins 24 and 25). Great!

BTW, on the 13 watt Motorola XTL speaker (HSN4032), is the ribbed side of the speaker wire zip cord GRD(-) or POS(+)? I know the standard for AC lamp cord is that (typically) the ribbed side is Neutral, and the smooth side is Hot, but I'm not sure what the standard is for a Motorola spkr zip cord.
Last edited by ASTROMODAT on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

It really doesn't matter but don't ground either one. You will fry the speaker circuit then.

Jason

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”