Convert ASTRO Spectra Consolette into Mobile?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Basurero
New User

Convert ASTRO Spectra Consolette into Mobile?

Post by Basurero »

Hello All. New to the board and have done prerequisite read and scoured for the answer and part numbers required, but can't find it.

I have a L04JKH9PW7AN ASTRO Spectra Consolette, VHF R1 (136-162 MHz), mid-power. Serial NUmber is 374ACN00XX.
Factory Configuration Sheet shows the following option codes:
G806AE
G48AM
G133AB
L768AB
Q155AV
L113AD
L487AB
L681AB
G338AN

Unit is in new, unused condition; have been able to configure it, and use it on 2 meter amateur band.

Question - Is it possible to reconfigure this consolette into a mobile (dash mount) configuration. It would appear that all that is required it to remove the drawer unit and the W7 head from the consolette and plug them together (using whatever cable is required), resulting in a mobile rig. Is it this simple?
If so, can anyone supply the part number of the cable required to join the radio drawer to the W7 head?

(also have some W9 heads, but reading indicates I can't connect them to this (W7) Consolette)

Assuming I find the cable and plug the drawer / head together, does the existing code plug care that the analog board is no longer present?

Is the radio significantly more valuable in the original consolette configuration? Any market for them. Am I better off selling it as is and using the proceeds to buy something else?
motorola_otaku

Re: Convert ASTRO Spectra Consolette into Mobile?

Post by motorola_otaku »

If you want a dash mount radio, all you need is the HLN6401A interconnect board. If you don't need keyloading or flash upgrade capability an older HLN6285A will also work. No, the radio doesn't care that none of the intermediary consolette hardware is no longer present.

J-split radios are highly desirable in the used market (if they're flashed for P25 and have 2.5 kHz RF boards), but they don't fetch as much as they did a couple of years ago. You'd probably eat more in shipping than you'd make selling it as a complete consolette versus a plain dashmount radio.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

FYI, HLN6401 boards are canceled at Motorola and substitute over to HLN6285
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

And so are the consolettes. I'm sure if you decide to sell the remains of the consolette, someone would buy it off of you in a flash, provided the price is right. ;-)
motorola_otaku wrote: J-split radios are highly desirable in the used market (if they're flashed for P25 and have 2.5 kHz RF boards), but they don't fetch as much as they did a couple of years ago. You'd probably eat more in shipping than you'd make selling it as a complete consolette versus a plain dashmount radio.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”