Mothballed XTL5000 with V11 Firmware, Upgrade?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Burtle
What radios do you own?: Too many Motorolas!!!

Mothballed XTL5000 with V11 Firmware, Upgrade?

Post by Burtle »

Hey guys,

It has been a very very long long long time since I have been on here and I am glad to be back to catch up on things etc.

So if you don't mind, I have a few questions to ask, I have done a search on here already but I am still sketchy on a few things.

Firstly, I have a few local XTL5000's O5 Heads and 1 XTL5000 O3, they have been sitting in a box for well over 5 years or more.

I have checked the firmware in them and they seem to have V11.xx.xx ( I am at work atm, so I don't fully remember the version )

Apparently, V17 firmware is floating around out there, would my radios survive a huge jump from V11 to V17 in a upgrade?

If they can (and I know this sounds stupid), how do I upgrade them, can a end user as myself (who has CPS and cable etc) upgrade them at home?

It has been a long time since I have been out of the radio game, trying to get back into it again.

Cheers
kt2728

Re: Mothballed XTL5000 with V11 Firmware, Upgrade?

Post by kt2728 »

I upgraded an xts5000 from ver 4 to ver16. no problems. you will need factory programming cables, cps, and an i buttton. i would not use anything newer than 16.01.00 till the 17 stuff gets all of the bugs out.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Whatever you do, get them off V11. That was the most unstable firmware in that model radio.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Burtle
What radios do you own?: Too many Motorolas!!!

Post by Burtle »

resqguy911 wrote:Whatever you do, get them off V11. That was the most unstable firmware in that model radio.
Yeah, that's what I've read so far on here, as escomm said "bad juju firmware" don't plan to do anything with them till I can get the parts (I-button) and uplift them!!!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”