Software Encryption on VSELP Radios

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

der_festmacher
New User

Software Encryption on VSELP Radios

Post by der_festmacher »

Can anybody tell me what additional options need to be installed to run H07 or H29 SW Encryption on an old VSELP Astro Saber ?

For my purpose the combination of an aged digital standard and some modest encryption would be charming enough to keep P25 scannerguys out of my network.
It's like saving your data on a 5,25 floppy instead of an USB stick ...

Thx for any suggestions / comments !
motorola_otaku

Re: Software Encryption on VSELP Radios

Post by motorola_otaku »

You do realize that VSELP alone is sufficient to keep the scannerheads out, right?

IIRC legacy software encryption wouldn't work unless the radios had the same HOST/DSP revisions or close to the same.
der_festmacher
New User

Post by der_festmacher »

Yeah, I know, still some additional protection would be fine...
I have by now 4 radios with the same HOST/DSP level, would be so fantastic if I could make Option H29 or H07 work on those radios.

Anyone here who has done this before, there are some claims on other boards that legacy SW encryption never really worked ...
motorola_otaku wrote:You do realize that VSELP alone is sufficient to keep the scannerheads out, right?
IIRC legacy software encryption wouldn't work unless the radios had the same HOST/DSP revisions or close to the same.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I never got it to work... As Josh says, running VSELP in general will keep 99.9999% of people in the dark. Not very many VSELP radios around either since IMBE became the chosen one. Doubt you'd have one near you to begin with, and even less in the land of beer (compared to the USA)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
der_festmacher
New User

Post by der_festmacher »

Pj wrote:Doubt you'd have one near you to begin with, and even less in the land of beer (compared to the USA)
AFAIK, British Home Office has decommissioned & pushed out some hundred of them into the market, so they might become a bit more common over here in Europe...

Well, my radios have Host FW R03.31.00.00 and DSP I05.00.25, the flashcode is : 410001-400000-2, so far everything fine. Yet, no way to make SwEnc run ...
it's a bit frustrating as it would be a nice easy way to go, without KVL & UCM's
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Well, the nice thing about VSELP radios is that old DOS Astro Lab will work on them, so you could take the LAPD s-record, modify it for the band your radios use, and push it in and see if it works. Just remember to save a backup s-record first, and write down your tuning values.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”