CPS 17 USB Connectivity

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

CPS 17 USB Connectivity

Post by escomm »

Anyone having issues with reading/writing radios with CPS 17? Seems Motorola may have made some changes to the USB driver... I've resorted to using the serial cable after bricking a radio during a firmware upgrade. Even reading the radios will often result in an error... something like error context ecec50035 or something like that. Seems like bad juju ....
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: CPS 17 USB Connectivity

Post by jmr061 »

Just curious if you bricked upgrade is showing invalid firmware. I have one computer that I just can't do USB firmware upgrades with. Everything else is just fine. I end up resorting to serial on that one laptop. I have also found that the same laptop only likes programming the radios through the USB port the driver was originally loaded through. The driver loads for other USB ports but won't read the radio.

Jason
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Fail 01/82. Bricked around block 11 or so, when the CPS went to write the codeplug back to the radio.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Also this crap is happening with a simple read of the radio. I get to 4 bars in the status bar on the lower left and it hangs up and then gives the error pup up. Error context like the one mentioned in my OP. I stopped writing to the radios with USB after the firmware upgrade, RS232 is working like a champ... takes a bit longer, but hey, better than a bricked radio........
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

It definitely sounds like a driver issue. You could try completely removing the driver, which also may require cleaning the registry, and then resinstalling. I've been using an FTDI USB to serial converter with my serial cable and haven't had a problem with CPS 17.

My standard practice for any programming cable, ham or commerical, is to buy a serial cable (if available) and use the FTDI USB to serial converter. I avoid having multiple USB drivers installed and the associated conflicts, and have a known quantity with the FTDI drivers. If there is a problem, it's easier to troubleshoot when you only have a single set of drivers to worry about.
-John
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I have had this happen sometimes. If you try again and just click on the warnings the second try completes. This is with clone express.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”