Convert APX7500 mid-power dashmount to remote mount

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

shakakan

Convert APX7500 mid-power dashmount to remote mount

Post by shakakan »

Howdy:

I would like to convert an APX7500 mid-power 05 dashmount to remote mount. Is it possible? Can anyone give me the right part numbers to order?

I asked my local dealer to find this out for me, and they haven't.

Thanks in advance.
motorola_otaku

Re: Convert APX7500 mid-power dashmount to remote mount

Post by motorola_otaku »

If the APX uses the same parts as the XTL, you need:
HLN1468C - Control Head Interface Board (CHIB) - $236 list
HKN6169B - GCAI remote cable (17 ft.) - $58 list (there are longer/shorter lengths available)
HKN6188B - GCAI remote head power/speaker cable - $24 list
PMUN1036D - Transceiver Interface Board (TIB) - $222 list
HKN6190B - Radio-to-TIB flex cable - $32 list
HKN6191A - CHIB-to-head flex - $30 list
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I had a department take a pass on buying the remote kits for $200 additional when they bought thier new 6500's, the chief thought that was too much money, now he's looking @ $600 per car,you can't make some understand that it's cheaper to buy this stuff when you purchase the equipment.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

motorola_otaku wrote:If the APX uses the same parts as the XTL, you need:
HLN1468C - Control Head Interface Board (CHIB) - $236 list
HKN6169B - GCAI remote cable (17 ft.) - $58 list (there are longer/shorter lengths available)
HKN6188B - GCAI remote head power/speaker cable - $24 list
PMUN1036D - Transceiver Interface Board (TIB) - $222 list
HKN6190B - Radio-to-TIB flex cable - $32 list
HKN6191A - CHIB-to-head flex - $30 list
No, they don't use the same parts, the TIB has a different plastic piece (though the PCB is the same), the flexes are not the same, and the gaskets are not the same.

OP needs conversion kit H1853, APX Dash Mount to Remote Mount conversion kit. ECat price is $325/ea and the interconnect cable is ordered separately. Much cheaper to buy the ECat kit than part it out. Only trouble is it's APB so you have to go through an MSS/MR or dealer willing to put up with the paperwork (and in the same territory as the end user)
shakakan

Post by shakakan »

Thank you all for the replies. We are receiving radios from our state government, so buying a kit is a great deal vs buying new radios. If I have to, I will go through my local dealer... I have two in my region, if one won't do it for me, the other will.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

escomm wrote:..the TIB has a different plastic piece (though the PCB is the same), the flexes are not the same, and the gaskets are not the same.
Can the non-same items be ordered separately, or are you stuck ordering the kit? I'm also curious how the CHIB-head flex can be different if O5 dashmount heads are interchangeable.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yes, you can order the piece parts individually, just at a higher cost than the kit. And you're right about the CHIA-CHIB flex, that stays the same, it's the radio-TIB flex that's different. That one is an HKN6205 flex
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

escomm wrote:Yes, you can order the piece parts individually, just at a higher cost than the kit.
I was thinking more along the lines of retrofitting an existing XTL5000 remote install to take an APX7500 drawer. Either way, good info to know.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

motorola_otaku wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of retrofitting an existing XTL5000 remote install to take an APX7500 drawer. Either way, good info to know.
I'm looking at the same plan. Swapping out an XTL drawer with the APX drawer.

I've got the newer control head so I should be good to go from the control head back to the drawer.

I've ordered a new flex (HKN6205A) and a new frame to go between the TIB and drawer (3264059H03).

The parts diagram showed 3264059H01 (Seal, overmolded frame) but that has been replaced by 3264059H03 (seal, mositure, silicone).

I'm assuming the XTL TIB will work with the APX?

Anything else I'm missing?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No, you're good to go. The PCB are the same
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Excellent!

Thanks.
Andy2712
What radios do you own?: XTS2500 m3 VHF

Post by Andy2712 »

Can someone tell me what the part number for the APX TIB is. I'm trying to convert my 7500 dash mount to a O3. I have the flex and the seal frame, but I wound up with a XTL TIB. Thanks.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”