Can an Astro Plus Be Changed From 800mHz to VHF..Newbie

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

1crazymax
What radios do you own?: CP200's, CM300, Baofeng UV-5RC

Can an Astro Plus Be Changed From 800mHz to VHF..Newbie

Post by 1crazymax »

I have a Motorola Astro Plus info below...
Model...T99DX-131W (W4-800mHz)
Model...H1794A
ID...DO4UJF9PWSAN or may be 5AN
Serial...494AXA****
Mfg. Code...5800080004802
1 meg

I was wondering if it would be practical or possible to convert this radio to vhf. I'm wanting to use on my ATV.
If this is a stupid newbie question I apoligize, I'm learning how to crawl.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

David
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Can an Astro Plus Be Changed From 800mHz to VHF..Newbie

Post by jmr061 »

Well lets see, you would first need a VHF astro spectra drawer unit and then you would need to pull the 800 vocon from the plus and put it in the VHF. Then you would need someone to use special powers on it to change the codeplug in the vocon to VHF and also somehow manage to change the tuning partition from 800 to VHF as well.

The boards in the radio that would are band/split specific are the PA, RF board, VCO and front end receiver. The command board is interchangeable.

Jason
1crazymax

Post by 1crazymax »

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured it wouldn't be easy, just my luck. It could be raining gold coins and I'd have a pitch fork. I got the radio and it was described as Deadlined Can Not Read Serial Number. Is this a simple fix or should I just sell it As-Is. Thanks again.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What do you means by deadlined can't read serial number? Does the thing power up? The plus doesn't use the same programming setup as a standard non plus model.
1crazymax

Post by 1crazymax »

I have no ideal. I got it in a radio lot and on the top in gold marker is says " Deadlined Can Not Read Serial Number" I'm going to try and get a programming cable to see how it reads. I have no use for it since its 806-870 MHz so I figure if it can read it it will bring more $$$. I'm looking for a cheap VHF Astro or CM200 CM300. A golden egg laying goose too.
1crazymax

Post by 1crazymax »

I have sold the radio and no longer require any information on the above topic. If one of the Mods could delete this posting it would be appreciated. If I knew how to delete I would, so I didn't waste anyone elses time. Thanks.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

We don't delete topics. You can lock it if you wish. Its a check box below the text box when your doing a reply.

Jason

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”