Motorola XTL5000 TX audio hum

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cahighwayman22

Motorola XTL5000 TX audio hum

Post by cahighwayman22 »

Got a remote mount XTL5000 that seems to have a TX audio issue. When I keyup I hear a audible hum (It's not PL, since i'm hearing it on a CSQ channel), that distorts my TX audio. I've tried different mics, with no luck. It almost sounds like a ground issue. Any suggestions?

-Trevor KI6KGN
Jim202

Re: Motorola XTL5000 TX audio hum

Post by Jim202 »

cahighwayman22 wrote:Got a remote mount XTL5000 that seems to have a TX audio issue. When I keyup I hear a audible hum (It's not PL, since i'm hearing it on a CSQ channel), that distorts my TX audio. I've tried different mics, with no luck. It almost sounds like a ground issue. Any suggestions?

-Trevor KI6KGN

What are you hearing the hum out of when you TX? Is this from another radio or out of the XTL5000?

Have you checked the XTL5000 mode programming to verify the transmitter has no PL turned on?

Has someone messed with the TX audio gain setting in the software?

What kind of a mic are you using on this radio?

What type of control head are you using?

Is this a new problem that has just developed on an old radio?

You need to provide some more details before your going to get much help on this problem.

Jim
cahighwayman22

Re: Motorola XTL5000 TX audio hum

Post by cahighwayman22 »

I got it figured out. Since this radio was a W7 dashmount, and I changed it to an O5 head, I forgot I had to sync the head with the radio. When I did that, the hum went away for good. Must of been a mismatch somewhere.

-Trevor

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”