Quantar analog/Digital Ham Repeater Optimizing

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

billschuman
New User

Quantar analog/Digital Ham Repeater Optimizing

Post by billschuman »

Just upgraded our Repeater from (Vertex 5000) to Motorola Quantar Analog/Digital Ham Repeater online in Northern New Jersey (Roxbury,NJ)(448.925 -141.3 NAC 293)
I am looking to Optomize the configuration, I have the Motorola Software just looking for the best configuration Details for Analog/Digital P25 operation or any other hints while I am waiting for a Fellow Ham to check the tuning on the receiver. Email or calls are always welcome...

Bill
862-432-3914
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Re: Quantar analog/Digital Ham Repeater Optimizing

Post by N4DES »

billschuman wrote:Just upgraded our Repeater from (Vertex 5000) to Motorola Quantar Analog/Digital Ham Repeater online in Northern New Jersey (Roxbury,NJ)(448.925 -141.3 NAC 293)
I am looking to Optomize the configuration, I have the Motorola Software just looking for the best configuration Details for Analog/Digital P25 operation or any other hints while I am waiting for a Fellow Ham to check the tuning on the receiver. Email or calls are always welcome...

Bill
862-432-3914
I found that the factory squelch setting is very tight and I have mine set to 30% so the analog and digital are balanced.
I haven't really found anything else that needs to be changed from factory other than maybe dropping the PL deviation a little bit, but that that won't really affect the performance.

Mark
KI4M

Post by KI4M »

Other than making sure the reference oscillator is on frequency I would also check the modulation compensation setting. If the SCM has been changed or if you have any suspicion it has I would do that. It will cause the digital waveform to be all outta whack. Also be sure to check the power output and do a PA calibration if needed.
mars
New User

Post by mars »

Firmware is another big one. Make sure you're running something current in both the Station Control Module, and the exciter.

Current versions are:

SCM: R020.14.048
Exciter: R020.09.018

Upgrades are available from M or by searching Google.
billschuman
New User

Post by billschuman »

Thank You Every One, for your Reply

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”