XTL5000 - accessory socket ignition sense

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

XTL5000 - accessory socket ignition sense

Post by g8tzl2004 »

The accessory plug on my XTL5000 is used for the external speaker and, I think, ignition sense using the red wire.

Do I need to connect the red wire to +12v?

If I don't connect the red wire to +12v, will the XTL5000 not power up?

Thanks
Bigfella237

Re: XTL5000 - accessory socket ignition sense

Post by Bigfella237 »

It depends how you have the option configured in the codeplug...

See: Radio Wide > Advanced tab > "Ignition Switch" drop-down box

You have the choice of:

Tx Inhibit
PTT Tx Inhibit
Blank
Soft Power Off
Required
Ignition Only Power-Up

See CPS help for more detail.

Andrew
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks Andrew.

I've not yet programmed the XTL5000. I will be building a simple straight thru rear prog cable.

I've plugged in the power cable and accessory socket with an external speaker connector. When I try to power up, the radio is dead!!! I'm hoping I just need to connect the red ignition sense wire to +12v!!!

I presume I can do no harm by connecting the red ignition wire to +12v...however the radio might be programmed.

My XTL5000 is a dash mount radio.

Thanks
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

Correct, all options in the list (except "Blank" of course) respond to +12V being applied to that red wire.

The only options in that list that won't allow you to power up the radio from the control head are the last two ("Required" & "Ignition Only Power-Up"), lets hope it's one of them that's selected, otherwise you may have bigger problems?

Have you actually seen this radio working before or is it newly acquired?

Andrew
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

g8tzl2004 wrote:The accessory plug on my XTL5000 is used for the external speaker and, I think, ignition sense using the red wire.

Do I need to connect the red wire to +12v?

If I don't connect the red wire to +12v, will the XTL5000 not power up?

Thanks
Your question is answered in the CPS help file. Seeing as you don't seem to have actually ever programmed an XTL, perhaps you would be best served farting around in the CPS and familiarizing yourself with it and reading through the help file before you come asking questions that are already covered with documentation you already have on hand
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

The radio is newly acquired.

But I have NOT yet tried to connect the red ignition wire to +12v....so I hope the radio being dead is "normal" until the red ignition wire is connected.

Or should the radio always power up WITHOUT the red ignition wire being connected to +12v...unless "Ignition Only Power Up" has been selected in CPS?
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Escomm - I just want to make sure the radio works before I start farting around with the CPS. I normally spend hours learning the CPS before I even begin to start to program a radio but at the moment I don't have access to the CPS help file.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

All conjecture aside, your only option is to try that IGN sense wire and see if it powers up?

I would be very suspicious myself...

Andrew
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thankfully the XTL5000 powered up with the red ignition wire attached to +12v !!!!

I've only checked out the RX side but the XTL5000 seems to be working OK.

Sensitivity is OK even without the W12 pre-amp option enabled

Next step will be to build the prog cable and enable the W12 pre-amp!!!

I'm surprized that there are so few comments that you can build a rear accessory XTL5000 programming cable for "free". Its just a straight thru cable - no need for any RS232/TTL level conversion or RIB box. I should even be able to use a modded 9 pin male DB9 rather than a real accessory plug as the DB9 pin spacing matches the accessory socket pin spacing.....I know, I know ...why end up with a brick just to save a few $!!...so maybe I'd buy a prog cable!!!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”