mcc5500 and encryption

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

scoops

mcc5500 and encryption

Post by scoops »

My work is planning on replacing their old dispatch consoles with MCC5500. Since the new system replaces the old DIU's, my question is where in the new system do the secure keys get installed? I've browsed through the MCC5500 installation manual and didn't see it anywhere. The only mention of encryption is the users guide, how to go clear to coded.
Thanks
Chris
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Re: mcc5500 and encryption

Post by N4DES »

It would be loaded in the control station radios as the MCC5500 is not a wireleine console.
scoops

Post by scoops »

The Motorola salesman says we don't need a DIU with the MCC5500. We're using quantars for the 3 main channels, the rest will be consolettes . I'm sure the quantars don't store keys.. Maybe the DAP module would, but I didn't see any mention of it in the installation manual. I'm just making sure we get what we need the system to do and the salesman is correct..
Thanks
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

I guess my question is why use Quantars? They seem like really expensive base radios unless they are also being utilized as the system repeaters and the console is wirelined into them.
If this is the case then a DUI should be required as there is no way for the Quantar to decode any digital or encryption.

You should ask for a block diagram from engineering to see how they propose to do what you need to do.
scoops

Post by scoops »

Yes, the quantars are repeaters and are off site. The whole system is eventually going to be replaced, but budgets aren't allowing it to be done all at once. I will have to get clarification from Motorola.
Thanks again
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The DIU's are still definitely required for encryption, if still using Quantars via wireline. As the other poster stated, the consolettes would be keyloaded, if they are being used.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”