Astro Spectra UHF 400-437mhz want to run at 478mhz

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motoguy
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Astro Spectra UHF 400-437mhz want to run at 478mhz

Post by motoguy »

gday all, i know its a bit offtrack from 900mhz Ham modifications, but i am curious if i can move this astro spetra from its current band of 400-437mhz up to work on 478.000mhz ? is it posible to retune the RX and TX VCO and then tune the radio with the software? and if it cant be modified to work at 478mhz what is the highest the radio will TX and RX without modifications?. thanks for your time to read my post and hopefuly help me out . i know its a bit off topic but hopefuly ive posted to the right area where people know what im wanting to do :)
cheers

Motoguy
motorola_otaku

Re: Astro Spectra UHF 400-437mhz want to run at 478mhz

Post by motorola_otaku »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: You need a VCO, RX preselector, and PA deck from an analog 450-482 Spectra, a s-record from a 450-482 Astro Spectra matching the control head type of the Astro you already have, MTSX Lab software to blow the s-record into the radio (don't ask), and the proper tools (an Astro Spectra service manual and a service monitor) to do a complete alignment afterwards. Basically, your Astro Spectra is not going to do 478 MHz unless you convert it to a 450-482 radio which, while not necessarily difficult, cannot be done without all of the aforementioned items.

Extended answer: If, for some reason, you need 403-433 and 478 capability in the same radio, you need a 403-470 MCS2000 and bandplit-hacked software to allow programming above 470 MHz. If you need all that plus IMBE capability then you need a XTL5000. Sorry, there's no easy or cheap way around that in the Motorola family of radios.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”