Strange issue with convert XTL5000 O5 Dash to Remote O5/03!

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DES-AJ
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Strange issue with convert XTL5000 O5 Dash to Remote O5/03!

Post by DES-AJ »

Hi all,

Here's my problem, got my TIB today and took my Firmware 11 XTL5000 UHF Q Split apart to convert it from an O5 Dash Mount to a remote mount with a TIB on the front. Now I've got the proper kit to install this without the "Break in Production" problem (As shown in this thread --> http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... te#p357241 )

Now when I installed the TIB and powered it up with my brand spanking new O3 HHCH the green light on the side lights for 5 seconds then goes out, no backlight, display or audio from the speaker, NO sign of life but for a green light mocking me on the O3. So I thought, ok maybe the HHCH has an issue.... So I changed the flex on the O5 head and popped my CHIB on the back of it, connected the 7 feet of remote cable between one of the blue connectors on the TIB and one of the blues on the O5 Head, plugged the power cable into the O5 head and pressed the power button on the O5, watched the traffic lights light up on the O5 for a couple of seconds... Wouldn't you know it the same wacky problem, nothing but the lights and no display... XTL mocking me. lol

So I held down the left softkey + Emer whilst in remote, and it flashed orange and asked me what Head is it, it was set to 1, so I left it as 1, same for the bootloader on the control head (Right Softkey + Emer) that came up fine as well, but no communication from the radio... :o

So here I am stuck, I reverted back to dash (Swapped the head and radio back to dash flex etc) and the radio powers up and works fine. I checked the programming, I had it set in CPS 12 for Tools > Change Control Head > Control Head Type 05/03. I looked within CPS, found some settings for multiple control heads in Radio Wide, ticked them, put the TIB back on and remote mounted it again, still no cigar!

Any ideas?

Equipment details are:
Mid power XTL5000 Oddessy Q Split with ignition and speaker 25pin accy cable on the back (Ignition is powered during tests)
Mod # M20QSS9PW1AN
Flash # 580208-001E84-3
Host/DSP ver R11.00.03
Secure R05.00.13 (AES/DES)

The O5 Head is CH firmware R06.00.02 and is a HLN1463C
Dash Mount Brick to O5 Head flex is HKN6192A

Brick to TIB Flex is a HKN6190A
TIB: Kit number PMLN5083A/PMUN1036A

O5 Head to CHIB Flex is a HKN6191A
CHIB: HLN1453A

Any help in getting it working or where I may have missed would be appreciated.

Cheers,
AJ
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Strange issue with convert XTL5000 O5 Dash to Remote O5/03!

Post by jmr061 »

How long ago did you get the HKN6190A flex?? I got mine in March and its a B revision. Don't know the difference between the A and B though.

Jason
DES-AJ wrote:Hi all,

Here's my problem, got my TIB today and took my Firmware 11 XTL5000 UHF Q Split apart to convert it from an O5 Dash Mount to a remote mount with a TIB on the front. Now I've got the proper kit to install this without the "Break in Production" problem (As shown in this thread --> http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... te#p357241 )

Now when I installed the TIB and powered it up with my brand spanking new O3 HHCH the green light on the side lights for 5 seconds then goes out, no backlight, display or audio from the speaker, NO sign of life but for a green light mocking me on the O3. So I thought, ok maybe the HHCH has an issue.... So I changed the flex on the O5 head and popped my CHIB on the back of it, connected the 7 feet of remote cable between one of the blue connectors on the TIB and one of the blues on the O5 Head, plugged the power cable into the O5 head and pressed the power button on the O5, watched the traffic lights light up on the O5 for a couple of seconds... Wouldn't you know it the same wacky problem, nothing but the lights and no display... XTL mocking me. lol

So I held down the left softkey + Emer whilst in remote, and it flashed orange and asked me what Head is it, it was set to 1, so I left it as 1, same for the bootloader on the control head (Right Softkey + Emer) that came up fine as well, but no communication from the radio... :o

So here I am stuck, I reverted back to dash (Swapped the head and radio back to dash flex etc) and the radio powers up and works fine. I checked the programming, I had it set in CPS 12 for Tools > Change Control Head > Control Head Type 05/03. I looked within CPS, found some settings for multiple control heads in Radio Wide, ticked them, put the TIB back on and remote mounted it again, still no cigar!

Any ideas?

Equipment details are:
Mid power XTL5000 Oddessy Q Split with ignition and speaker 25pin accy cable on the back (Ignition is powered during tests)
Mod # M20QSS9PW1AN
Flash # 580208-001E84-3
Host/DSP ver R11.00.03
Secure R05.00.13 (AES/DES)

The O5 Head is CH firmware R06.00.02 and is a HLN1463C
Dash Mount Brick to O5 Head flex is HKN6192A

Brick to TIB Flex is a HKN6190A
TIB: Kit number PMLN5083A/PMUN1036A

O5 Head to CHIB Flex is a HKN6191A
CHIB: HLN1453A

Any help in getting it working or where I may have missed would be appreciated.

Cheers,
AJ
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Yeah I was questioning that possibly being part of the problem, It came about a month ago from Motorola (Although through a dealer so unsure if it was NOS)
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Ok so I've been able to get the O3 to come up in FlashZap mode by holding Emergency + Right Softkey on the HHCH. I guess that rules out the HHCH being faulty, plus the problem has been on both a remote O3 and a remote O5...

So that must leave the TIB or the TIB flex... Noticed this in the service manual to...

Symptom - Radio does not power-up
Control head / TIB to transceiver FLEX

If SW_B+ is not present on J2 pin 24, then the flex
is suspect. Replace the flex. If SW_B+ is still not
present, refer to the detailed service manual for
ON/OFF system troubleshooting.

I guess next step is to replace the flex or TIB and see if that makes it power up...
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Ok so with the help of a friend I've tested the TIB and TIB flex with another XTL5000 and they worked fine on the other XTL (Only differences are the other XTL has Version 12 firmware, mine has 11.00.03)

I've plugged the TIB in again to my radio with my O3 HHCH, but this time without the accy cable plugged into the back, the radio now powers up with Fail 01/90... If I press any button on the HHCH before it gets to Fail O1/90 it will go into "Maintenance Mode Remote Device" after it displays Fail 01/90. I'd imagine it may be a control head sync issue, and/or the radio firmware needs upgrading to work in remote.

Now to find some firmware on an iButton or a sync file... :x

Any thoughts?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

A firmware refresh file and ibutton refresh key is all you need. The R12 has control sync features in the software.

Once everything is up to R12, you may have no further issues. It is stupid, but I have one customer with several hundred XTLs and we had all sorts of strange issues swapping parts around until we upgraded everything to the newest firmware.
ecraiger
New User

Post by ecraiger »

Glad I found this on how to get the O3 into flashzap mode. The O3 will go into flashzap but does not show anything on the screen... blank screen that is lit... as was yesterday.

I have an used O3 head and a XTL5000 Odyssey. Yesterday, the radio read and wrote via rear connector. The radio would not present to the computer through the GCAI. This morning the radio will not present via rear programming cable either. Radio firmware 17.01.01.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

17.01.01 is a known defective firmware from Moto. Make sure your radio is warm, as in room temp, most issues occur when the radio is cold. You may need a serial cable to do a reflash/refresh to get the thing going again. One of the symptoms is that it can no longer see the USB.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Don't forget to align the radio after firmware refresh. If you need help with that pm me, glad to provide assistance.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”