ADP Setup

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KD6MHO

ADP Setup

Post by KD6MHO »

I have a couple Motorola Radios with the ADP (Software Encryption) multikey featured installed. I can check the box, generate the 4-digit HEX keys, and configure the secure mode. I have played around with everything including the Sw slot and key slot assignments (0 to 0, 1 to 1, etc.) and for the life of me can't get the feature to work properly. I always get "key fail" when trying to go secure. I know the keys are generated in CPs and then the radio is programmed...but is there any special key loading mode I need to be in to install the keys in ADP like you need to do in hardware encryption schemes? Is there a special trick or something that I can check for that is a common cause for the "key fail" error?

Also, I can run this on ANY P25 conventional channel through a Quantar ...right? Or can I only run it in conventional "talkgroups"? From what I understand the Quantar doesn't need any special features enabled other than P25 to pass this form of encryption.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: ADP Setup

Post by bezking »

Hmmm... "ADP Multikey" - do you have the ADP Software Crypto feature, or Hardware Multikey with ADP on the UCM? If you do have the Software Encryption, make sure you go into the Secure Configuration and make sure that under "Secure Type" you have selected "Advanced Digital Privacy."
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

And the "4 digit" hex codes are the key IDs, not the keys. The keys are 5 hex bytes (10 characters) long.
KD6MHO

Post by KD6MHO »

Ah, thanks Ben and tvsjr. Ben, yes I do have the ADP feature. I DO NOT have the UCM however. My understanding is that you don't need a UCM to do software encryption, though you CAN get it as a feature on the UCM if you want to use hard key loading for ADP.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

In the radiowide secure configuration, check to see if the radio is set to "Hardware" or "Advanced Digital Privacy". The two options are mutually exclusive. Do you get any error codes when you turn the radio on now (like ER 09/10)?
KD6MHO

Post by KD6MHO »

Thanks everyone for your replies! I t*think* I have gotten to the heart of the issue. The radio I am trying this on is a XTS3000 which I bought used and it had the ADP flash added to it at some point. From some research I have done, it seems that Astro Saber and XTS3000 may not be able to support ADP (even though it can be added to their flashcodes..most likely done by other than an official depot?) and it seems to work only in the "ASTRO25" series radios. I haven't confirmed this ...just my suspicion from doing a bit of research. It is the only reason right now I can think of that I can't get the feature to work.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

That's correct... you have an invalid flashcode. ADP is ASTRO25/APX only.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I am curious as to what the flashcode is as reported in CPS.

Jason
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

I'd bet that he has the old hacked 4F1E hacked flashcode that had IMBE and the old ASTRO VSELP Software encryption features which are mutually incompatible.

Option "H07 Software Multikey Encryption" is what he's referring to - which ain't ADP by any stretch. Thats why the keys are appearing as 4 digits, not 10...

This feature was only available on old, pre DSP 5.xx radios and only with VSELP..

Case closed ;)

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”