APX7000 External Audio Problem

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wd9cms

APX7000 External Audio Problem

Post by wd9cms »

I have an APX7000 that I am having problems with external audio. I have a HMN4104A remote speaker mic that when attached to the APX7000 is fully functional except there is no receive audio. I can adjust the volume and the display on the radio indicates that the volume is changing but no audio at all from the speaker mic. I can change channels, ppt, and have great transmit audio. Is there a software adjustment or setting that must be changed for external audio that I am missing??? The speaker mic works on another radio and I get no receive audio from any of the external audio accessories that I have( external earphone, external surveillance, etc). Any help would be great.....

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: APX7000 External Audio Problem

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Post deleted.
Last edited by Tom in D.C. on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

HMN4104 has had some quality issues.... could be due for a warranty exchange
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

It is brand new out of the box...and none of the audio accessories have recevie audio on this radio but work on another just fine....
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

I had my first 4104A lose its display capability because I accidentally disconnected the head from the cable while the 7000 was powered on (to show a friend that the cable terminated inside the mic as a micro-USB cable).

Thank god I was able to get it replaced at no charge & I'll never do that bonehead move again!
Scott, W2SJW
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

In the CPS change the settting so the mic takes control of the radio. Otherwise every time you bump the radio volume control its going to change on the RSM. Other than that the first generation display/channel select mics had issues. The newest version is fine. I orderd mine from moto directly in March and it finally shipped in June because of the issues they were having.
w2sjw

Post by w2sjw »

I also just realized tonight that it seems you have to assign one of the buttons on the 4104A to control the light on it, as the main radio's button does not. Pretty awesome that you can flip the display on the DRSM as well (if you are one of those kinda guys that routes the mic up & over the back of your shoulder).
Scott, W2SJW
loband

Post by loband »

Also, most important.....never connect or disconnect the RSM with the APX powered on. Always turn radio off first. Not like the other radios...XTS, MT, etc. Same when changing the battery, remember you are dealing with a "computer" or SDR software defined radio. This also appiles to the Thales Liberty and Harris Unity.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

loband wrote:Also, most important.....never connect or disconnect the RSM with the APX powered on. Always turn radio off first. Not like the other radios...XTS, MT, etc. Same when changing the battery, remember you are dealing with a "computer" or SDR software defined radio. This also appiles to the Thales Liberty and Harris Unity.

This is a non issue and has no affect on the Thales Liberty and is not required.
loband

Post by loband »

I don't know about that, I have a Liberty and I would not try it....
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

loband wrote:I don't know about that, I have a Liberty and I would not try it....
I bet Scott knows better than you, since he works for them...
loband

Post by loband »

Well then I would assume he would have read page 5-14 you have to power down before changing battery or accessories. Or does he work in the stock room?
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

loband wrote:Well then I would assume he would have read page 5-14 you have to power down before changing battery or accessories. Or does he work in the stock room?
Have you ever known the user guide to be written by someone that has a clue, or be updated as often as the radio's firmware? I'm going with the horse's mouth on this one.
Also, anyone that removes a battery from any modern radio without turning it off needs to be flogged. The radio really needs to be able to un-affiliate or de-register from the system, and it also contributes to the pitting you see on XTS battery contacts.

But....... this isn't a liberty thread. I have had SO MANY problems with the APX enhanced RSM that I am about to ship back more mics than any service depot wants to ever see. Also, if anyone here uses a surveillance kit with an apx and has channel announcement enabled- pay attention to the powerup sequence and see which speaker gets picked first before the "impres accessory" takes over.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
radioactive69

Post by radioactive69 »

I agree with Loband, you need to comb through the CPS settings under Radio Ergonomics Configuration/ Radio Profiles and you will find several named "profiles" that can modify the audio routing. Note the name and the settings. Then go to Zone Channel Assignment/ (the zone your channel is in) Channel Tab and scroll right to see what Radio Profile Selection is assigned to that effected channel. Change it to another profile name or modify the profile audio (Radio Ergonomics) under the General Tab or Audio Settings Tab.
Save the file and write the HT and see if it fixed it.
We are in the too much information age...
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

loband wrote:Also, most important.....never connect or disconnect the RSM with the APX powered on. Always turn radio off first. Not like the other radios...XTS, MT, etc. Same when changing the battery, remember you are dealing with a "computer" or SDR software defined radio. This also appiles to the Thales Liberty and Harris Unity.
Up to 180 cycles on my NNTN7038 and 130 on NNTN7034 without any ill effects. I think Motorola is a little better at engineering than that. Also how is the radio software defined with 2 band specific RF boards????
loband

Post by loband »

I give up...way too many "experts" on this topic. I'm done. I know our stuff works and thats all that counts.
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

I will take a look and give it a try....Thanks!!!
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”