Motorola APX7000 LCD glass material??

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Motorola APX7000 LCD glass material??

Post by kotaguchi »

Just was curious what the lcd display is made of?

The Astro Saber,XTS3000,XTS2500,XTS5000 housings all had a outer plastic lens built in the housings that went over the actual lcd assembly.

But now that with the APX7000,the lcd does not have a outer lens cover to protect the actual lcd...

Is the lcd made of that same tough material"gorilla glass"like the I Phone/I Pad is made of??
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
resqguy911

Re: Motorola APX7000 LCD glass material??

Post by resqguy911 »

Transparent aluminum going by how ridiculously strong it is
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

It is a sperete Glass lens that sticks on the FRONT CHASSIS SUB-ASSY, MODEL III totaly seperate from the LCD that it fits over.
6175619B02 LENS ASSY, FRONT DISPLAY
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

So there is a outer lens that cover the actual lcd?

Good to know in case it gets scuffed and needs replacing.

Alot easier now I see just to replace the outer lens cover than before when the lens was built in the housing like the XTSs..
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

kotaguchi wrote:So there is a outer lens that cover the actual lcd?

Good to know in case it gets scuffed and needs replacing.

Alot easier now I see just to replace the outer lens cover than before when the lens was built in the housing like the XTSs..
That is all correct Ko, it's like $14 and change on MOL and it comes with sticky around the rim to stick on to the FRONT CHASSIS SUB-ASSY, so itt's not the main LCD that gets the scratching just the glass in front of it,instead of having to change the whole XTS housings. And at $144 for the color LCD for the APX M2 & M3 it could get very costly for just a few scratches.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

I put on a lens protector on mine....just in case.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

At Fire Rescue International last week, Motorola had a setup rig with a bowling ball being dropped from about 3 feet directly onto the display of an APX7000, while operating, and it had a big LED hit counter that would count the number of times the radio was struck in the LCD region, head on. They also had two other APX portables in the same case getting rammed with what looked like a golf ball. The radios were powered up and backlit the while time. The counter was up to 364 hits when I saw them that day. Whatever material they are using is STRONG as ever.

Even better was the APX6000XE they had fully submerged in 3 feet of water for over 14 hours and counting...powered up and operational. Impressive. Let's see you do that with your Chinese knock off road apple radio.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

Yes very impressive indeed, I seen the same booth at APCO in Philly last month. I have the APX7000R and it is rated submersable to 6' for 2 hours as well. I did manage to put a tiny scratch in my front display, thus I put a clear lcd protector on it as I have on everything else.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”