Any agencies phasing out XTS, and going to the APX ?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Any agencies phasing out XTS, and going to the APX ?

Post by MT2000 man »

With all this talk of the new APX series (even the new ones that are supposedly just being ordered like the APX2000, 4000, etc. led me to the question is any one's agencies getting rid of thier 5000 / 2500 XTS radios in favor of the APX ? I would assume probably not in that 1. The APX is SUPER expensive, 2. I know of a few departments locally that just got brand new XTS5000's, so it's highly unlikely that they would be getting rid of them anytime soon, and 3. The need for agencies to have more than one band in a radio might be lower than expected.

Any thoughts on this ? As for me, I have never even seen an APX radio in person yet, as no agencies / persons around here can afford them. I would also assume that the only entities that WOULD have the APX are FBI, CIA, etc. Although last I checked, I'm pretty sure that most of those guys still use the 5000 as well.
sheldon

Re: Any agencies phasing out XTS, and going to the APX ?

Post by sheldon »

I saw a senior Australian Federal Police (AFP) officer in Canberra the other day carrying an APX7000 portable radio. I asked him why he had it and he said that only a couple senior officers had them so they could liase with other agencies comms centers. The AFP not that many years ago rolled out Australia wide the XTS5000 portable radios but I'm still unsure why he needed it as pretty much all Australian Govt agencies use UHF.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Best current replacement market for APX radios would be agencies whose XTS3000s are getting old. In my area we have at least two major PS agencies who are in the process of converting to APXs, both portable and mobile, and both agencies are currently using old XTS3000s.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Cook county sheriff's police In Illinois patrol units have APX7000 V/800 they were carrying XTS5K's up til last year. Im pretty sure the XTS's were handed down to other units that dont need to use VHF.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

90% of all agencies I talk to as I travel the US that have XTS3000/5000 and that are on any kinda of trunk system or plan on going to one, are buyin some type of APX for all new and replacement radios.

The main driving factor is the average life cycle of a Public Safety radio is 7-10 years. All of the above type of agencies plan to go to a Phase II trunked system in that 7-10 year time frame. With that in mind it is hard to justify buying a radio now that you know can not do Phase II ever and will be useless at some point in it's life cycle
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

sheldon wrote:I saw a senior Australian Federal Police (AFP) officer in Canberra the other day carrying an APX7000 portable radio. I asked him why he had it and he said that only a couple senior officers had them so they could liase with other agencies comms centers. The AFP not that many years ago rolled out Australia wide the XTS5000 portable radios but I'm still unsure why he needed it as pretty much all Australian Govt agencies use UHF.
Customs already have the APX with the display speaker mic.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Speaking of the display speaker mic, has anyone seen the new APX mic with the display, and LED light built into it ? I was checking out MOL and saw it up for pre-orders. Thing looks nifty ! Although will probably cost a TON of coin.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

MT2000 man wrote:Speaking of the display speaker mic, has anyone seen the new APX mic with the display, and LED light built into it ? I was checking out MOL and saw it up for pre-orders. Thing looks nifty ! Although will probably cost a TON of coin.
Yes, expect it to be pricey- but super FF friendly. http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/ ... APX_XE_RSM
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

One of my Coworkers was doing live burn evolutions and there were some engineers from M at the drill site. ( its not far from Schaumburg) The engineers had some APX's with the new LED light. They showed it off and let him use it in some of the smoke. According to him it looks cool but pretty inpractical due to the glare. He also says you can make the LED flash too..
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

]The new mic cost I think like $999.00+.It does not have a lcd display on the front.That is a piece of reflective strip on the front(Check out 1:04 on the below Youtube video.)The LED on the front suppose to be able to work on strobe mode that is bright enough to cut through the smoke from what I have seen in a You Tube video on the mic:

http://youtu.be/WscKpsxgQN0

FireCpt809 wrote:One of my Coworkers was doing live burn evolutions and there were some engineers from M at the drill site. ( its not far from Schaumburg) The engineers had some APX's with the new LED light. They showed it off and let him use it in some of the smoke. According to him it looks cool but pretty inpractical due to the glare. He also says you can make the LED flash too..
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

Up here in Canada, the Toronto Police Service are migrating to the APX7000 radio. They had started to switch from their old MTS2000 radios (and Spectra E4s) to XTS5000s and XTL5000s. During an APCO conference (or maybe it was IACP, I can't remember), their Chief of Police saw the APX radio and his eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. They're now directly upgrading the rest of the MTS2000s to APXs, and getting rid of the XTS5000s for the APXs now.

Glad it isn't my tax money they're wasting :)
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

I think they bought the V/8 for possible inter-op with our Provincial Police who are VHF Astro SmartZone.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

As a side note (not to get too far off topic here), but since we're talking about it, I DID manage to find that new LED Speaker mic here: http://shopwiscomm.com/NNTN8203A-NNTN82 ... 54349.aspx

I for one would NEVER justify paying $1,000USD for a speaker mic. I could get a super clean XTS5000 model III for that amount !

Anyway, just figured I'd throw that out there. Hopefully those here that are planning to buy one is getting one through thier FD and not paying out of pocket.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I don't know where they got that figure from, but we were told under $300.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

My Fire Dept, along with 30 + other police & fire agencies in Cook & Dupage county IL are going to the Illinois statewide 7/800 StarCom21 system in the next few months, with APX7000's across the board for FD & PD dispatch & Ops.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

MT2000 man wrote:As a side note (not to get too far off topic here), but since we're talking about it, I DID manage to find that new LED Speaker mic here: http://shopwiscomm.com/NNTN8203A-NNTN82 ... 54349.aspx

I for one would NEVER justify paying $1,000USD for a speaker mic. I could get a super clean XTS5000 model III for that amount !

Anyway, just figured I'd throw that out there. Hopefully those here that are planning to buy one is getting one through thier FD and not paying out of pocket.
My listing is just a placeholder for the future release. My Motorola rep is advising $275-$300 retail. I gleened some details last week on the mic and shared them on a blog post.

http://wiscomm.blogspot.com/2011/09/mot ... px-xe.html

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Craig
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Ah, that pricing seems a LOT better ! :) Although I shouldn't complain, I don't even OWN an APX anyway :)
Nexrad16
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX V/7 & V/U Liberty

Post by Nexrad16 »

All fire agencies in Ada County (Boise, Idaho) have trans to APX VHF/700/800.
d119

Post by d119 »

What is the APX 2000 (Pic?), and what is the SRX 2200?
wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

d119 wrote:What is the APX 2000 (Pic?), and what is the SRX 2200?
Vaporware currently.

Here is the "roadmap" for the APX series:

APX2000, SRX2200, APX4000, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, and APX7500.

The is SRX2200 is likely a "sand" colored portable.

No photos of either model have been gleaned.

C
d119

Post by d119 »

What makes you think the SRX is sand colored? And what do we know about the unreleased APX radios thus far?
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

I've done some research online to try and find some info. out about these unreleased APX series radios (APX2000, etc.) and have found next to nothing. Just that article Wiscomm linked that had all the "upcoming" APX models listed in the middle somewhere.

Be nice to know what's coming down the pike in the APX series. Seems that Motorola's long term goal is to make more APX models, and phase out the XTS series all together.
wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

The two big events they announce products are APCO and IWCE, so likely nothing till February 2012 @ IWCE. Unless the dealers get a peek at some sort of roadshow.

C
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No roadshows this year they are in Schaumburg >_<
wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

Seeing the first photos of the SRX2200 "Sand" colored portable were showed up on Friday. Those with access to the collective can find them. Dual Display, black colored keypad with short "sand" colored battery.

UGLY. They even have "Sand" colored knobs!

Craig
d119

Post by d119 »

wiscomm wrote:Seeing the first photos of the SRX2200 "Sand" colored portable were showed up on Friday. Those with access to the collective can find them. Dual Display, black colored keypad with short "sand" colored battery.

Craig
A "Federal" model aimed at military use, no doubt.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

wiscomm wrote:Seeing the first photos of the SRX2200 "Sand" colored portable were showed up on Friday. Those with access to the collective can find them. Dual Display, black colored keypad with short "sand" colored battery.

Craig
Any chance you can post here for those without access to the Commie Collective? :)
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

PM me your email. Rather refrain from posting anymore from the Mother Ship.

Craig
adlertom

Post by adlertom »

Is the microphone connector for the APX the same style as the XTS?

I would be curious to know if this mic would work on an XTS even though it's not marketed as such. What I like the most is the protected PTT button. Our FD has lots of problems with accidentally bumping the PTT button on the regular style speaker mics.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

APX and XTS do not have the same external accessory connector.
torontokris
New User

Post by torontokris »

Are they for sure getting rid of the 5000's? They didnt get them very long ago
would be nice to have the APX for VHF/800 and interop together.
Spiffy50 wrote:Up here in Canada, the Toronto Police Service are migrating to the APX7000 radio. They had started to switch from their old MTS2000 radios (and Spectra E4s) to XTS5000s and XTL5000s. During an APCO conference (or maybe it was IACP, I can't remember), their Chief of Police saw the APX radio and his eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. They're now directly upgrading the rest of the MTS2000s to APXs, and getting rid of the XTS5000s for the APXs now.

Glad it isn't my tax money they're wasting :)
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Metropolitan Police Department at Washington DC is slowing migrating from XTS3000 UHF Model IIs to APX6000 or 7000s

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”