System Key Analog/Digital

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ajs007
New User
What radios do you own?: MTS2000 - XTS3000 UHF

System Key Analog/Digital

Post by ajs007 »

Is there any difference between an analog and a digital system key? I created a key using the http://www.batlabs.com/syskey.html page.Looking in CPS In the trunking system and then in then in the general tab the ASTRO 25 section is greyed out. Is this due to the system key not being a digital key?
d119

Re: System Key Analog/Digital

Post by d119 »

There's no distinction between digital and analog when it comes to system keys.

A couple of things:

1. Since you had to "make" a system key, should you really be programming the radio on to the system anyway?

2. Is the radio you have even capable of ASTRO25 operation?

3. Assuming the answer to #2 is yes, is the radio you are trying to set up ASTRO25 on even flashed for ASTRO25 operation?
ajs007
New User

Post by ajs007 »

Thanks for the reply i understand why you ask question one.
And the answer if you want to be technical no i should not be on the system but I am well aware of the risks for both myself and other other legitimate radio users on the system if i do something wrong I may but peoples lives at risk.
That said people will be reading this and be saying P#*s Off but i thought with the site promoting and advising the use of commercial trunking radioshttp://www.batlabs.com/trunktips.html it would be an ok place to ask for help.

I can see this will heat a few people up so i am sorry in advance.

Flash code installed is 549008-000600-2

Thanks
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If I recall correctly, that method of creating a system key will only work properly for older trunking radios such as Maxtrac, STX & Spectra, which only concerned themselves with the last two digits of the system ID. I don't even think it'll work for MTX/MTS, Visar & MCS, let alone an Astro or Astro 25 series.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
d119

Post by d119 »

I don't know either.

To the OP, I don't think you're going to get a whole lot of help on this issue here. As someone who maintains a large amount of trunked infrastructure, you should not be doing what you are trying to do.

Just remember - if your radio gets bricked, IT'S DONE. No reprogramming to recover it.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

d119 wrote:Just remember - if your radio gets bricked, IT'S DONE. No reprogramming to recover it.
While I agree that the OP should not be doing what he is trying to do, this information is false. There are ways for most any inhibited radio to be restored. Some are hard, others relatively easy it depends on the radio platform. But to says its done is just false.
Thomas
What radios do you own?: MCS2K,CDM1250,XTS3000,XTL2500

Post by Thomas »

wavetar wrote:If I recall correctly, that method of creating a system key will only work properly for older trunking radios such as Maxtrac, STX & Spectra, which only concerned themselves with the last two digits of the system ID. I don't even think it'll work for MTX/MTS, Visar & MCS, let alone an Astro or Astro 25 series.
Its works on newer radios too. At least on 3600 systems with analog and P25 voice on 500 and 800 MHz. I've made the keys the same way and I'm using MCS2000's, XTS3000's and XTL2500's. The all work just fine for me.
d119

Post by d119 »

Batwings21 wrote:
d119 wrote:Just remember - if your radio gets bricked, IT'S DONE. No reprogramming to recover it.
While I agree that the OP should not be doing what he is trying to do, this information is false. There are ways for most any inhibited radio to be restored. Some are hard, others relatively easy it depends on the radio platform. But to says its done is just false.
I'm talking about the lay person who has a radio and standard CPS, and you know that's what I'm talking about. Yes, you are correct, there are other means, but lets be realistic here.
ajs007
New User

Post by ajs007 »

Ok thanks anyway
I have worked out that my radio wont work on the system anyway cause it doesnt have 9600 P25 trunking. So no need to stress people :-)
Have a good day people.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”