IFR 1000A - HF PLL - Why does it fail?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

warnergt
New User

IFR 1000A - HF PLL - Why does it fail?

Post by warnergt »

The HF phase lock loop on IFR 1000's seem to have a high failure rate.
This is the PLL that moves in 1 MHz steps and lights the left frequency lock light on the front panel.
You will often see these IFRs on ebay with that particular light out.
Mine is out now and I'm guessing that this is a somewhat common problem.
Before I start debugging this, I thought perhaps somebody already knows why these fail and could save me some time.
Why do these HF PLL's fail?

Mine isn't a total failure. If I spin around the frequencies, I can get it to lock on some frequencies (like around 300 MHz).
It seems that something has got weak with time.

VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Re: IFR 1000A - HF PLL - Why does it fail?

Post by VE3TUH »

Try Kurt Graber from KG electronics. He fixes these older boxes. Could be anything from a power supply going south to a failure in one of the modules.
warnergt
New User

Re: IFR 1000A - HF PLL - Why does it fail?

Post by warnergt »

Just to follow up, I resolved this problem.

The HF (1 MHz steps) VCO was intermittent. It was a subtle problem and, being intermittent, took a while to find.

The VCO tuner board runs on +11V and -35V. It outputs about 0 to -20V to the VCO which, in turn, ranges from 1200 to 2199 MHz.

My problem was on the power supply and regulator board. It uses two transistors in a current mirror configuration as part of the -35V regulator. One of those transistors was bad. Because of that, it was outputting an unregulated -39V — something that might appear nominal when measured with a volt meter.

So, the tuner was operating with an unregulated input voltage. Sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn’t. Now, it is fixed.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”