COM 120B fault.

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kiunga
New User

COM 120B fault.

Post by kiunga »

I have a COM-120B which decided to die on me. I found the inverter board on the display had cook itself. Anyway, I repaired the board, but now on turn on i get the message "restoring cals from front panel ", and the message just stays there, If i go to receive mode, all looks nice, it just does not receive. Also on the front panel PCB beside the CPU, there is a flashing red led. Has anybody come across this before. Many thanks.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: COM 120B fault.

Post by Wowbagger »

The 120 stores 2 sets of cals - one copy on the internal non-volatile RAM storage, one copy on the EEPROM in the microcontroller on the front panel. The message you are seeing indicates the NVRAM copy is bad, and is being copied from the front panel. My guess is that the batteries that back up the RAM have failed, and so the internal state is being lost when the unit is powered off.

This isn't a big deal - that's WHY we have 2 copies of the calibration data. If you are concerned, you could pull the CPU tray and replace the batteries - they are soldered in but it shouldn't be a big deal.

The flashing LED is just a heartbeat LED - it's supposed to flash: that means the software is running correctly. Failing to flash would be a problem.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
kiunga
New User

Re: COM 120B fault.

Post by kiunga »

I found that battery you mentioned on the control board, and ordered same. I'll let you know how it goes when i fit it. cheers, many thanks for your help.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”