Aeroflex 1600S help

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ve1gln

Aeroflex 1600S help

Post by ve1gln »

Hi,

Recently bought a used 1600, works well, does everything I need of it but recently noticed a wierd issue... When sitting up on it's end... so facing straight up, it will not reduce uV signal strength to week levels. I was playing around and noticed that if I push in on the bottom of the case slightly it will go down to where it's suppose to or at least seems to be where it's suppose to be for the correct uV output. I'm talking like sub 0.30 uV area...

Anyone come across this issue?

Also, I would like to take the case off to investigate. I cannot for some reason get it to come apart. I have taken the back off like other IFR's I have had apart, but that's it, nothing seems to budge after that.

I am thinking that something is loose in there and a simple tightening will fix my issue... Well I can only hope anyway :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glen
VE9GLN
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Aeroflex 1600S help

Post by Wowbagger »

It sounds like you have a loose connection between the generator module and the power term module. RF leaks around the loose connection, preventing you from getting all the way down.

Pop the case, tighten all the connections to the power term (on the bottom front of the case), and see if that helps.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

Thanks Wowbanger.

But one question... How do I get the case off?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

On the back panel, there are some large screw heads that stick out from the case. Loosen these (they are captive, so they won't come out). That will allow you to slide the back case off. You should then be able to pull the bottom case back to remove it from the front case. and remove it. Be careful not to bugger the beryllium copper finger stock as you do.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

Thanks.

Managed to get it apart, and there was a loose connection going to the generate module... Seems to be a bit more stable now.

However, another quick question since you work on these beasts.

It doesn't seem to "turn down" the output, it seems to do it in steps, like it's mechanically switching in attenuators. The steps are drastic sometimes, like from 0.29 to 0.28 it goes from a decent signal to crap to quickly.
Any idea if thats something that can be fixed? maybe dirty relays or something?

Thanks

Glen
VE9GLN
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Yes, the attenuator works in steps, and the intervening adjustments are made by changing the output of the generator block. If the calibration is out, the table that the unit uses to work out how to adjust the generator and how to set the attenuator may not match reality. It sounds like you probably need the unit recalibrated.

Also: at the low end of the scale (I'm assuming you are quoting uV, not dBm - you really should get in the habit of appending the units to any number), you start running out of range - and this shows up much more in a linear scale like uV rather than a log scale like dBm.

Lastly, use the T/R port for low levels, not the duplex port - the T/R port has an additional level of attenuation. That's why the duplex port gives you a higher output range that the T/R.

ve1gln

Post by ve1gln »

Thanks Wowbagger,

I am using the T/R port and I am referencing uV. I guess I should figure out a place to send it for calibration. I only paid $1200 for the unit, for I think it's worth spending the $$ on calibration. Do you suggest sending it straight back to IFR? any idea ballpark on cost?

Thanks

Glen
VE9GLN
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Well, the issue on calibration is "what are you doing with it?" For example, I've not had my COM-120B calibrated for a long time (sometime I'll see if I can sneak back to the calibration station when production isn't using it), but I don't really care about it being gnat's whisker accurate, as long as I can make relative measurements. But if you want to be able to point at a reading and say "That radio has a 12dB SINAD sensitivity of -124dBm *dammit!*", then calibration makes sense.

As for who to do it: obviously I am going to recommend you send it back here and pay us money - that money goes to fund my paycheck! But I think there are other companies that can do the cal for you, maybe cheaper. I don't track how much this costs because the cost for ME is $0.00, and I don't work in service, I work in design.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”