Motorola R2200a Power Problem HELP!

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gumshoe0
New User

Motorola R2200a Power Problem HELP!

Post by gumshoe0 »

I have a Motorola r2200a that powers on then shuts down within a few seconds. I replaced the power module just prior to this. Any suggestions on where to look for the cause??

Thanks
Barry Sherwood
KF5GC
jry

Re: Motorola R2200a Power Problem HELP!

Post by jry »

it may be worth a shot to try operating on DC or Battery.
The manual is on the Repeater Builders site.
The power supply does have over voltage and over current protection.

Was the power module replaced for this issue and are both modules having the same error?
gumshoe0
New User

Post by gumshoe0 »

It does this on ac and dc. The power module was replaced because it went snap crackle pop. Visual inspection showed no evidence of trace burns or obvious component damage around the power module so only replaced the power module. I have no schematic for this unit just the users manual. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Barry Sherwood
KF5GC
jry

Post by jry »

The Repeater-Builders site has the maintenance manual hxxp://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/r2200 ... mplete.pdf

Easiest would be to pull the power module and check for shorts / low resistance on the power supply test points that are on the bottom of the mother board / power module connector.

If you find a supply line with a short you could start pulling modules as you measure the resistance and see which one has the short.
gumshoe0
New User

Post by gumshoe0 »

Thanks for the link PY and I will give your suggestion a try this evening.

Thanks
Barry Sherwood
KF5GC

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”