A suggestion to all you Aeroflex users....

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

A suggestion to all you Aeroflex users....

Post by Wowbagger »

Internally, several of us in different departments have been trying to get the company to put up an official forum, with people who'd job it is to answer questions (as opposed to here, where I am doing this in my spare time with zero authorization).

If you like the sounds of that, I'd suggest you contact Aeroflex (I'd suggest either Paul New in Service, or Rob Barden, or both - I've given their contact information several times on the board.), and politely tell them you want that.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Re: A suggestion to all you Aeroflex users....

Post by nukedude »

Several people in the company I work for have asked for additional support on the Aeroflex 3500A since it came on the market. Everything from firmware upgrades, training and documentation. Aeroflex has been hard to deal with since some manufacturing defects have been noted in the 3500A. Telex, Motorola,Icom,have all been helpful and had a source to contact them when needed.

Many of us are getting jaded and looking to other vendors, such as General Dynamics and Agilent.
Some of the senior people like to have some sort of contact with a vendor when large amounts of money are spent on their products.

I for one, have been migrating from Motorola to Harris due to their recent poor customer service. Even with a MOL account and large purchase orders every few months, they seem to be pushing long time customers away.

This forum is great since the push away for corporations and government entities (on Motorola) means more used gear on the market for me to play with.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Any of those guys going to be at IWCE? It would be a good venue to do some lobbying in person.
nukedude

Post by nukedude »

It might be me or any of the other 14 of us that fight to go to IWCE each year. I try to go to IWCE and the SHOT show. Emergency response has become more like hunting and escape and evasion over the years.

Last time I went to IWCE, Aeroflex was nowhere to be found. General Dynamics had a test set, Motorola had a test set, Agilent had a test set.....Ramsey Electronics had their Com3010 hobbyist test sets. I bought 7 Com3010's for the company to tide us over a couple of years. We currently have 7 Aeroflex 3500A's and only a couple out of two dozen users like them. The 3500A is very menu driven and takes a few seconds to switch between modes.

For bench units we have older HP 8920 Radio Test Sets that are great, as long as you do not need them to be portable. Our Honolulu office actually uses their 8920 with a very long extension cord to move between vehicles and vessels for periodic radio testing. They would rather drag a power cord behind them and the 30+ pounds rather than go through the menus on the 3500A.

Recently I purchased 14 Anritsu SiteMasters that work well too.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Aeroflex had a big stand last year. They made a real effort.

Many years ago I used a 8920 and I still like the style. I've recently had the use of a R8000 but I didn't like P25 testing with it.
nukedude

Post by nukedude »

Missed IWCE this year.....glad that Aeroflex made an effort. I did notice that Aeroflex is entering an agreement with Cobham. Cobham makes many of the satcom units we use on ships where I work. So hopefully this will help customer service. Cobham has been very good to us end users/installers over the years.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”