PL/DPL Counter

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RF1
New User

PL/DPL Counter

Post by RF1 »

Can anyone recommend a product to put on a base station that can count the hits on PL's and DPL's? Would like to leave something at a site for a week to make sure a tone isn't used by a co-channel user.
RFguy

Re: PL/DPL Counter

Post by RFguy »

I've used a Zetron model 32 for this in the past. just connect the discriminator audio input. It tracks the number of hits and total time for each Pl/DPL.
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

We used three CSI Flex decoders last year to do exactly that for over a month at several sites.
It outputs each hit to its serial port and we just ran that into old laptops saving it as a txt file in pretty much any COMM program, then worked over those files in excel to keep just the info we wanted.
Even got fancy and sent the data over T1 RS232 channel cards back to the comm center.
So the computers could stay in one place, and just moved radio/flex decoder/cavity/T card from site to site to do freq and PL surveys.
Steve K.
RF1
New User

Post by RF1 »

RFguy wrote:I've used a Zetron model 32 for this in the past. just connect the discriminator audio input. It tracks the number of hits and total time for each Pl/DPL.
Are you sure it was the Zetron Model 32? That's a paging terminal.
RF1
New User

Post by RF1 »

PETNRDX wrote:We used three CSI Flex decoders last year to do exactly that for over a month at several sites.
It outputs each hit to its serial port and we just ran that into old laptops saving it as a txt file in pretty much any COMM program, then worked over those files in excel to keep just the info we wanted.
Even got fancy and sent the data over T1 RS232 channel cards back to the comm center.
So the computers could stay in one place, and just moved radio/flex decoder/cavity/T card from site to site to do freq and PL surveys.
Thanks for the info. We used to use CSI repeater panels in the community repeater days. I will look into the Flex Decoder.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

RF1 wrote:
RFguy wrote:I've used a Zetron model 32 for this in the past. just connect the discriminator audio input. It tracks the number of hits and total time for each Pl/DPL.
Are you sure it was the Zetron Model 32? That's a paging terminal.
Oops. Model 32, now that's a flashback. it's a model 38 that I was thinking of. Thanks for the catch.
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

Model 38 sounds "bout right. You would have to go in and enable every PL/DPL "user" to log them all. Kinda painful with a klunky terminal program. I'd go with the CSI flex myself.
Lots and lots of watts...

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”