Motorola R2600 dim display

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

paulrickmakita
New User

Motorola R2600 dim display

Post by paulrickmakita »

Hi, I am new to this board. I have an R2600 with a dim display. I have the intensity turned all the way up and can see the highlighted menu items, but the non-highlighted are so dim that I (nearly) can't see them at all. I'm hoping that the problem somehow is a simple bad cap or fried resistor. Any advice will help. Thanks from a newbie. :)
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Motorola R2600 dim display

Post by DJP126 »

Hello Paul & welcome to the board. The R2600 series came out in the 90's, so what vintage do you have (A, B or C)? The "D" series uses an LCD display so I know that isn't yours. Your problem could be a CRT going bad due to age, a simple alignment problem or a problem in the high voltage circuitry. There are no schematics for the CRT and display board as these were purchased as an assembly from an outside source, so you are pretty much on a hunt and peck mission.

Good luck.
Dave
paulrickmakita
New User

Post by paulrickmakita »

Thanks Dave for the quick response.
It is an R2600 B / NT. I inherited the unit so have no knowledge of it's history. My current plan is to go with external display using DB9 to DB15 cable and this CGA to VGA converter board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321243151873?ss ... 1439.l2649

I probably should have asked on this bboard if that converter will work, but I'm hoping it will. It will sit in my shack so going mobile with the service monitor is not so important.

A related question: do you know the differences between the A, B and C versions? That's probably in this bboard somewhere, I can look for it too :)

Thanks for your advice.
Paul
jry

Post by jry »

that converter will not work with this unit.
Have not looked recently but there may be an internal adjustment on the CRT assembly for the intensity.
The CRT is a Motorola industrial TTL OEM 7" display IIRC...should be labeled but never did find and information on the series used.
Believe there was a previous post on the version differences
paulrickmakita
New User

Post by paulrickmakita »

Rats, is there a converter known to work?
I'll open it up some day and see if I find an internal adjustment on the CRT assembly.

Paul
paulrickmakita
New User

Post by paulrickmakita »

OK, another question about an external display if the converter board that I posted will not work: can I simply use an old CRT computer monitor that has CGA input? I looked for an LCD monitor that accepts CGA input but could not find any.
Paul
jry

Post by jry »

If you have an old monitor that did CGA/EGA it would be certainly worth a shot .

I use an XVGA ( Ebay search should find them ) adapter which is intended for industrial CRT replacement converters but other may work ...I would avoid ones intended for old gaming applications.

You may have to look closely on the CRT PCB and see whats labeled on the adjustments but on most here is a pot in series with the external adjustment or it could be an associated component ( read capacitor ) failure on one of the low voltage bias supplys. ( may be worth a look with a scope for ripple ...high freq from flyback )

I often use the CRT module schematics for similar industrial monitors like the Panasonic TR-60S1A as a guide /reference.

The tubes and flybacks are available as well to repair the module itself ..not cheap though.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

paulrickmakita wrote: A related question: do you know the differences between the A, B and C versions? That's probably in this bboard somewhere, I can look for it too :)

Thanks for your advice.
Paul
The differences between the models in the series were "major" engineering changes. For example, the ASIC used in the A model became NLA from the supplier (yeah I know, that ASIC was a Motorola part but it still went NLA) so a new processor board was designed for the new ASIC & you now had the B model. The C model brought about changes so the trunking and secure options could be offered. The D model brought the color LCD display.

Whenever Motorola changes a model suffix on any of their products, it's because of some kind of engineering change.
Dave
paulrickmakita
New User

Post by paulrickmakita »

Very good answer Dave. Thanks for the info.
Paul

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”