IFR Test Fails - Service Options

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ve7epp
New User

IFR Test Fails - Service Options

Post by ve7epp »

Hi Everyone,

I have here an IFR 1600S that stopped working after transport. I have run some tests from the test menu and have found the following failures.

AF Counter
Analyzer Level
AM Modulation
Synthesizer Response
RF Counter
FM Deviation
Analyzer Dispersion
Receiver Sensitivity

Configuration Report
FM/AM - 1600S 4.02
August 22, 1996
Function Board 03.02S
Monitor CTRL Board 300S
Counter Board 03.01S
Option 2
Run Tiime Hours 22109.7

Also, on the back there is a sticker: Internal Options 16

I'm hoping that there is a possibility that one issue is causing all of these failures. I have reseated the cards and some of the functions return temporarily such as sometimes the receiver and the AF Generator work and then they don't.

Any ideas on what these problems might be would be appreciated. Also, a good service center referral.

David 604-781-1773
ve7epp
New User

Re: IFR Test Fails - Service Options

Post by ve7epp »

Also,there is a buzzing from the power supply when the power switch on the back is ON and the power switch on the front is OFF.
ve7epp
New User

Re: IFR 1600S Test Fails - Service Options

Post by ve7epp »

I have just found that if I go into the Tracking Generator/Analyzer, the receiver and RF Generator stop working until I turn the power switch on the back off for a while and restart. If I don't go into the tracking generator at all, the receiver and RF Generator work fine. I'll keep posting any other info I find.

I didn't see my previous (2nd) post so I will rewrite it here.

With the front power switch off and the rear power switch on, there is a light buzzing coming from the power supply. I'm not sure if that is noisy or not and if my problem is related to the power supply as another fellow suggested the possibility.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: IFR Test Fails - Service Options

Post by Wowbagger »

I'd guess you have a capacitor going bad in the power supply, and increased ripple on the supply is causing issues throughout the unit. If you have a scope, look at the power supply lines and look for ripple.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”