R2600B/HS with CRT problem

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiocat37

R2600B/HS with CRT problem

Post by radiocat37 »

My R2600B/HS starting making an arc noise and then the display was dimming. Then I heard arcing and removed the top. I saw arcing from the CRT shell to an internal frame rail and shut it down. I powered it back up and saw a steady arc at the same point. I fear my CRT may have died, but am in unfamiliar territory. Any thoughts?
Brian Griffin: Ah, if my memory serves me, this is the physics department.
Chris Griffin: That would explain all the gravity.

Lois: Peter, you're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking.
jry

Re: R2600B/HS with CRT problem

Post by jry »

Boy this is going to cost a fortune to repair 8)

I think all you need to do is CLEAN the CRTespecially by the anode and the HV cable to the flyback, I often tape the Metal chassis (wide clear packing tape ) by the anode connection just a precaution.

I would dis-assemble the front from the unit unplugging the CRT ...be careful the tube will still have a healthy charge whne you remove the anode cable.

On the C version of the CRT assembly the anode connection was to the right and less prone to arcing . They switched from a Motorola OEM display to another vendor somewhere in the B to C vintage.

The display section was always an OEM 12VDC CRT module ( like those used in CNC machines etc ... ) and not documented in the SM

I usually use alcohol to clean the anode area but once again make sure you discharge the tube first otherwise an arc can ignite the alcohol. Any cleaner should work though to remove the dust build up
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

Thanks for heads up. I will do that this weekend and report back. Any tips on discharging the CRT?

jry

Post by jry »

carefully with a very small screwdriver and insulated handle and a jumper clip ..utube video on this
radiocat37

Post by radiocat37 »

I am happy to report I survived. I followed the youtube directions and it was really no big deal. The arc traces were everywhere and it was very dusty and dirty. The anode area was awful, but now is like new. I cleaned everything, wiped it down, used compressed air, taped up areas to help prevent further problems and gave it a test drive. Monitor works better than ever. I used it for two hours today and got some radios tuned and tested.

Thank you again "jry" as this whole procedure cost me a whopping $6. Service monitor is working great!!!

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”