Aeroflex 3920 freq shifts with mic on

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dag
New User
What radios do you own?: amateur

Aeroflex 3920 freq shifts with mic on

Post by dag »

I hope this is easily remedied. I found that my 3920 generator frequency will shift up nearly 4Khz when I simply turn on EX using the Mic input. It does not matter if anything is even connected to the mic jack, just having the phantom voltage there is enough. This tells me there is no DC blocking on the mic port.

Any ideas?
David Gosselin
CETsr, SETMSS
KD4HTU
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Re: Aeroflex 3920 freq shifts with mic on

Post by nukedude »

My work had two Aeroflex 3500A test sets that would do that as well. They would also drift when testing radios. Sometimes they would get stuck in Transmit test and would not change to Receiver test. A manufacturing defect was found in both units, they tried to charge us for the repair, and eventually fixed them and shipped them back to us. (We had 14 units and two were acting up.)

You may be able to post on some test equipment sites and see if this is common for the 3920's.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

I talked to the project lead - the issue is the phantom power (for electret microphones) is offsetting the voltage. If you turn on phantom power and leave it on for a long time, the capacitor will eventually block the signal and you should be OK.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
dag
New User
What radios do you own?: amateur

Post by dag »

Thanks. I will give this a try.
Wowbagger wrote:I talked to the project lead - the issue is the phantom power (for electret microphones) is offsetting the voltage. If you turn on phantom power and leave it on for a long time, the capacitor will eventually block the signal and you should be OK.
David Gosselin
CETsr, SETMSS
KD4HTU
pasbanfsd001
New User

Post by pasbanfsd001 »

I hope this is easily remedied. I found that my 3920 generator frequency will shift up nearly 4Khz when I simply turn on EX using the Mic input. It does not matter if anything is even connected to the mic jack, just having the phantom voltage there is enough. This tells me there is no DC blocking on the mic port.

Any ideas?

Farasat

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”