Motorola R2410 Random Shutdown?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WKirkpatrick
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola System Saber III

Motorola R2410 Random Shutdown?

Post by WKirkpatrick »

Anybody with a Motorola R2200/2400 Series service monitor had any problems with the unit shutting down and require a power off/on to restart. I have the complete service manual and there is a 75 C overtemp N/C relay that could cause the issue but never been able to duplicate. Other issues like line voltage too high will force a shutdown, but have ruled that one out with a steady 120/121 VAC. The Unit is about 20 years old and a R2410. It is in perfect working orderand mint condition with the exception of the random shutdown! Help?
arlojanis

Re: Motorola R2410 Random Shutdown?

Post by arlojanis »

Mine has the same problem. Never worried about it. It always starts up again.
"The world runs on radio."
ve2rfi
New User

Post by ve2rfi »

I had a R2600 series that had the same problem, it turned out to be the power FETs (TO3) in the power supply module. It had loose screws and were shorting out the unit sending it into over current protection.
WKirkpatrick
New User

Post by WKirkpatrick »

I took another look at the power supply module this last weekend and everything is tight! All the soldered in components look good as well! Also I realized after looking at the original paperwork that I have had the unit since 1988! That's 30 years! Will just have to keep power cycling when needed.
Thanks for the input!
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Electrolytic capacitors that are over 20 years old are always suspect.

Tantalum capacitors are known for shorting out - even intermittently. Usually a piece of equipment will have dozens if not hundreds of those. For some reason 10uF tantalums are very common and seem to fail the most. Hopefully one will short out for good one day; then you can find it and replace it.

Bob M.
WKirkpatrick
New User

Post by WKirkpatrick »

Thanks for the tips.....none of the radial caps are swollen that usually indicates a issue. It is just going to have to quit for me to continue looking. Intermittent issues are the worst in the electronics business to isolate!

Bill K

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”