IFR 1600 did not turn oggff so I unplugged it. No turn on now

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NCCowboy
New User

IFR 1600 did not turn oggff so I unplugged it. No turn on now

Post by NCCowboy »

Hi, I have a very little used IFR1600 that I bought about 10 years ago. Its been sitting on my work bench and not turned on until the other week. I turned it on and tested a few of my VHF portable radios and it worked great in all modes. I ended up going thru the user manual and learning how to use all the functions. I went to turn it off after about 3 hours of use and it would not turn off using the on/off switch. I had to unplug the power cable. Now it will not power on. I opened the unit and reseated all the boards and looked for anything obvious (everything is very clean, connectors tight etc). I suspect there might be a relay hanging (if there is one) the power module, or maybe in the shot down/ power on circuit. I have little experience with this unit but used to repair electronic test equipment for a DOD contractor years ago. I dont have a schematic or maint manual. I could use any advice you might have.

Thank you very much

Richard
jry

Re: IFR 1600 did not turn oggff so I unplugged it. No turn on now

Post by jry »

power supply control ( inside power supply ) is bad ...it controls the power to the main supplies as well as the fan.
Buried in there and a real PITA to access and repair.

PS I never found a schematic
NCCowboy
New User

Re: IFR 1600 did not turn off so I unplugged it. No turn on now

Post by NCCowboy »

Thank you for the reply. Anything I should look for part wise for the circuit in the power supply module? If so maybe I can find the parts in a Newark catalog if I am lucky and just replace them. Or any idea if I might be able to bypass the circuit so the unit can be forced to stay on and I just use a power strip to control the power so it comes on whenever the power is supplied?

Thanks again

Richard

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”