Antenna testing, Return loss or VSWR or ??

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFguy

Antenna testing, Return loss or VSWR or ??

Post by RFguy »

We had a discussion at work the other day and this subject came up. I've always used Return Loss in dB when sweeping an antenna. Someone else suggested using VSWR.

I've never found VSWR very useful as I can't easily related it to anything of adjust for things like feedline loss.

For example, if I have a return loss of 20 dB and it changes to 17 dB, I know I have twice the reflected power than I did. Also if I know I have 2 dB feedline loss, I know I need to allow for 4 dB (there and back) in my return loss measurement. Instead of setting a 14 dB return loss as a pass/fail, I'll set it to 18 dB as the fail point.

I'm I missing something for not considering VSWR for antenna testing?

Thansk in advance for any comments/insight.
Karl NVW

Re: Antenna testing, Return loss or VSWR or ??

Post by Karl NVW »

Two different ways to express the same amount of impedance mismatch. Some folks like to measure reflected power in absolute watts, others like you prefer the easier add and subtract when looking at the more complex system view. To-may-to, to-mah-to, it's all sauce.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”