Aeroflex (IFR) Questions

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GlennD

Re: Aeroflex (IFR) Questions

Post by GlennD »

I have a reference TCXO out of a parts 1500. I would sell it for %50.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

GlennD wrote:I have a reference TCXO out of a parts 1500. I would sell it for %50.
You mis-understand what i am asking for.

I am NOT trying to buy one - simply attempting
to identify make and model if possible.
fineshot1
NJ USA
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

There are no markings but IFR;s on the unit. It is the same for the 1200. 1500,1600 and maybe others.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

You would probably have to remove it from the mounting bracket
in order to see the actual oscillator module on the small pc board.
The small module would not be easy to see while still mounted to
the bracket that is mounted on the rear panel.
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

BTW folks - Areoflex/Cobham is now Viavi solutions.

https://www.viavisolutions.com/en-us/pr ... -test-sets
fineshot1
NJ USA
LZ1IM
New User
What radios do you own?: Collins 51S1, Maxon HR146

Post by LZ1IM »

Hi to All,

it's been a long time of experimenting for changing original EL560.400 of COM120B with TFT-LCD, but it was worth it!
Now, let's do it in turn:
I start with HS, VS, Clock and Data lines present at the connector J1 /Sheet 5 Video CNTR/.
First problem was that EL560.400 have 560x400 pixels, and TFTLCD with 4:3 format have 640x480 pixels.
So, I need some double port RAM with controller, and I found SSD1963 as appropriate IC to drive TFTLCD.
Second, I found out that Video CNTR of COM120B send 624 pixels/line /560 Video + 56 garbage /before video/ +
8 pixels Horizontal Sync /active 0/. 56 pixels Delay of HS solve that, with help of uController and some logic ICs.
Next, another problem. In modes, like Oscilloscope and Analyzer, also in text modes, where are also graphics
/Oscilloscope, analyzer, and bars showing parameters /Voltage, SINAD, Power, etc./ designer at IFR made a remarcable trick:
That is, he want to make grid and bars less brighter then rest of frame, and he solve that with sequentally switch
on and off pixels of, say grid in analyzer mode or other fields of interest, and that sequence walk p-frames on, then q-frames off,
and again, and again...
It seems like PWM, and thanks of persistence of phosphor, which is base of EL display, that persistence acts as a Low-pass filter,
and everithing is great for EL display.
Well at TFT-LCD there is different situation. TFT-LCD has minimum persistence /it is fast!/, and our eyes see grid blinked
at high rate, of course, but seen. After 5-10 minutes, eyes got tired.
At Sheet 11 Video CNTR, designer wrote EL Flat panel Display, 560x400, 4 Shades. And at Sheet 5, one would see that
"responsable" for that is U17 and /maybe/ U4.
So, I check signals that are inputs for U17 /named Red, Green, Blue and INT/. INT is of no interest at that moment.
RED signal containing good part of the frame - text, trace, bars without grid.
GREEN signal containing trace and bars.
BLUE signal containing grid.
So, I connect that signals as inputs to my design, and, voila! I am a lucky person!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YX_sl1 ... sp=sharing

Now, I still have a job to make design fine /I think Red is not goos for the text, better Amber, and grid must be more lite/.
Making PCB and some mechanical jobs to make replacement of display easy.
If it is interested to that community, I will post /as finished/ Schematics, PCB, and mods of Video CNTR Board.
Best regards!
Pavel, LZ1IM
jry

Post by jry »

looks interesting ...the display resolution conversion has been the core issue with a substitute display.

I would start a separate thread on the project.
try2fix
New User

Com 120 Power Supply 20 Turn Pot

Post by try2fix »

This Is What I Found:
The "A" is the Com120 AC Turn -Off Voltage -Total CCW=107 Volts AC Turn Off
CCW Brings The AC Turn-Off Voltage Down.
"B" is the Battery Voltage The Com120 Turns Off- CW Brings The Turn Off Voltage Lower.
Hope This Helps.

Next I have a question regards the back panel, there are two adjustment pots, one viable 'A' and one 'B' not unless you take the rear panel off, both on the PSU section, but no mention of what they are for setting. So before I go playing can anyone suggest what they could adjust?

many thanks

Adrian[/quote]
ljohn6
New User
What radios do you own?: Kenwood,Icom,Hytera

Post by ljohn6 »

what a great project look forward to seeing a finished project.
Lorenz G.H.
New User

Post by Lorenz G.H. »

Hi
Please advise.
IFR 4000 compared with GT-1 GADSS?
We lack of money and still need tester. Think to try GT. Who can say anything about it?
roxbox
New User

Post by roxbox »

Dose anyone know what the below '0400-0400-0400-0301' codes stand for?
IFR SYSTEMS INC,COM-120B,XXXX,0400-0400-0400-0301
or
IFR Inc,COM-120B,xxxx,0419-0410-0415-0301

is it the hardware installed and if so, do you know what each one is?

I have decoded most of the eeprom "options" and can set them via a eeprom reader/writer but not sure if the above information is in the eeprom.

another question? I found a 120b online with option 20, and one with flex. has anyone seen this?

tracking generator (12)
Pocsag Paging
RCC Encode (09)
BER Meter (07)
Variable AF Gen (04)
Generator AMP (05)
SSB (08)
Optional IF Filter (03)
Audio/Digital Signaling formats (ccir,ccirh,ccirh4,eea,eia,natel,...) (11)
New Counter
10 Hz Modulator
EDACS Trunking (16)
AMPS Cellular (15)
LTR Trunking (14)
IEEE-488 gpib (13)
MPT 1327 (17)
roxbox
New User

Post by roxbox »

Found it, 0419-0410-0415-0301 versions of the main program, bios, gsp, keyboard
MAIN PROGRAM 4.12
BIOS 4.10
GSP 4.14
KEYBOARD 3.10
m0hzh
New User

Post by m0hzh »

Hi all,

just joined as I'm trying to bring back to life a COM-120B. It came in my possesion with an Aeroflex label "beyond economical repair" and was told it needs a new Planar display control unit.

Turning it on, this happens:
- one beep, antenna LEDs come on/off one after the other
- 10 seconds later, a sequence of beeps seems to indicate some error code (..._.)
- display never comes on, nothing else happens
- can't be turned off from the front panel button.

The display control unit seems fine so far, but it's not getting the Enable signal from the display unit so probably that's why the 250V voltage is not coming on. The EL560.400 display unit is supposed to turn on when it detects video signal, on the 4 video signal pins only clock is present but no Hsync / Vsync / Vdata. Looking at the Digital Tray, the TMS34010 doesn't output any video signals and all the HD0-HD15 I/O bus pins are stuck on HIGH.

This points to the Controller Tray not providing the video data, but I have no idea where to start. Visually it looks good (no leaked caps etc) and the Lihium battery measures 3.695V.

Any idea what the audible error code (short-short-short-long-short beeps) means ?
lc4600
New User

Post by lc4600 »

You need to hook up the RS-232 port on the Com/-120B back side and look at the boot log. It my or my not give clue. IIRC a bad EL560.400 will not stop the unit from booting up . You should be able to set it up to receive a local AM radio station using the Remote command set.
Substitution is how I find problems in the Com-120B. The CPU \Video broads can be quite daunting to trouble shoot. Check all the crystal clock sources on the CPU and the Video broads.
Carl
N0PXJ
m0hzh
New User

Post by m0hzh »

I hooked up a computer on the RS-232 port this morning, the boot sequence was failing with the following message:

"No boot routine found, executing monitor"

So probably there was some flash corruption. I tried to upload FDMY.bin and fmyvid.bin as described by Wowbagger on page 8 oh this thread, now boot begins but stops at this:

"Booting System:

Found application at 0020:00C00000Jumping to 0340:00000000"

And it freezes like that. I understand the files were not complete, but now in the serial console is not responsive so probably the flash chips need to be taken out to be flashed (if I could get a hold of the correct flash images).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Razvan (M0HZH)
zriba
New User

Post by zriba »

Hi,

I found this thread after lot's of search and i hope, somone should help me a little bit to bring some life to my 2392 spectrum analyzer...
Basic problem : the system won't boot. It booted some times, when i cool down the flashcard, but few days later it don't helped anymore.
Now i hooked to my pc serial port, and i see the boot log:

Memory Size Function OK
Time of Day Function OK
System Services OK
Main RAM to.. 000BFFFF OK
System Segment at......BF99
Rom checksum OK
IFR Systems function online
Extended Ram Not Found.
288K Parameter RAM found
IEEE-488 interface: working store at BF94:0000
SPI serial bus: online: working store: BF93:0000
Keyboard Function OK
SysVue segment at BF80:0000
Last fatal error code: FFFFFFFF
Annabooks AT BiosKit
Modified by IFR Systems, Inc. under license. 01/19/95
Booting System:
Loading IFR BIOS extensions...

Moving stack to top of free RAM
Loading applications
No ROM application found: executing monitor
SysVue Copyright (c) FOSCO 1988, 1989 - All Rights Reserved.
SysVue [01] >

Looks like it don't find the main program on the flash card, i made a copy from the flash card and found 2 program, GSP driver and the main program.
If i make a copy of the flash card it do the same... but GSP driver loaded, only main program not found :(

Any advise what can i do with this unit now?

Many Thanks,
Z
m0hzh
New User

Post by m0hzh »

m0hzh wrote:I hooked up a computer on the RS-232 port this morning, the boot sequence was failing with the following message:

"No boot routine found, executing monitor"

So probably there was some flash corruption. I tried to upload FDMY.bin and fmyvid.bin as described by Wowbagger on page 8 oh this thread, now boot begins but stops at this:

"Booting System:

Found application at 0020:00C00000Jumping to 0340:00000000"

And it freezes like that. I understand the files were not complete, but now in the serial console is not responsive so probably the flash chips need to be taken out to be flashed (if I could get a hold of the correct flash images).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Razvan (M0HZH)
Just to follow up on this in case anyone else runs into similar problems. It looks like the Controller Tray had most of its firmware corrupted and you need about 5 different files to completely restore it, which seem to be unobtanium.

The fix came from jry, who was able to revive the board and bring it back in shape. He seems to know everything about these (now unsupported) units and is probably now the best bet for anyone having issues with them. Fully recommend.
jry

Post by jry »

just a quick follow on comment.

The files used in a standard update were not enough to recover this problem ...standard update process would not fix the issues.

The flash had become so corrupt that the the internal file system had to essentially be re-formatted before the update could be completed.

The process to re-format required completely re-writing all of the flash IC's with known good images.
NCCowboy
New User

Re: Aeroflex (IFR) IFR1600 turn on circuit help

Post by NCCowboy »

Hello, I have a IFR1600 that would not shut off, so I pulled out the power cord. Now I need to use it and it won't turn on. Does anyone have any information on the power control section in the power supply module? I have no data on the power supply. Thank you very much

73 Richard W4MCD in Edenton NC
rgpace
New User

Re: IFR 1900 CSA Display image reversed and upside down

Post by rgpace »

fineshot1 wrote:
fineshot1 wrote:I know i have posted about this before but it has come back with a vengence and the only way i can get it to go away is let the 1900 run idle for about 20 minutes before the display image straightens itself out.
Situation changed - The display image no longer straightens itself out. Yes i can used a vga monitor on the bench but this does not help me if i need to
go in the field with the service monitor. Need to find cure and final fix.
Did you ever resolve this problem, I have the same issue with one of my units? Ron
Tech255
New User
What radios do you own?: Yaesu FT757 mk1 FT-726r FT101Z

Ifr aeroflex cpm20

Post by Tech255 »

I recently bought a cpm20 20ghz frequency counter with power meter, the frequency meter works fine but i don't think the power meter does i bought a power head but all i get is a 1mw permanent signal.
I have scoured the internet for any sign of a service manual but nobody has ever posted anything anywhere just wondered if anyone on here has any service info for this unit anything would be appreciated.
Tech255
New User
What radios do you own?: Yaesu FT757 mk1 FT-726r FT101Z

Post by Tech255 »

So after doing a bit of work on this cpm20 ihave found that the sensor wires have been pulled off the sensor chip as i thought i had nothing to lose i soldered them back on there normally welded but no joy the fet in the power body still seems to be ok, it looks like i should be able to buy a replacement rf sensor kit but no idea who stocks it in the uk if anyone knows it would be helpful its a 6910 sensor.
comtrontech
New User

Post by comtrontech »

Does anyone know the real difference in an Aeroflex 3920 and a 3920B and how does it effect the accuracy?
awyeah
New User
What radios do you own?: Mostly Moto - too many to list

Post by awyeah »

Wowbagger wrote:
Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:40 pm
I just thought I'd start a topic for questions about Aeroflex (IFR Systems) gear. Just to recap for the newbies: I am a Principal Software Engineer at Aeroflex Wichita (what used to be IFR Systems). I helped design the COM-120A/B/C, the 2975, and the 3900 service monitors, the AN920/930 spectrum analyzers, and have done a little work on the 1600/1900/AN-GRM family of service monitors.

As my sig says - I'd appreciate any requests for calibration or service actually go to the Service department. I design them, I don't fix them!

I'll gladly try to answer anybody's questions on any Aeroflex gear - that which I did not design I can probably find out who did.

I'd appreciate those questions being asked in the public forums rather than in private messages, so that everybody can see the answers.

One other caveat: obviously, I work closely with many different manufactures under non-disclosure agreements, and obviously I know about Aeroflex projects that are not yet publicly announced. I cannot talk about those: not on the board, not in a private message, not in an email. I get paid too damn well to screw over my whole career.
I would LOVE to get my hands on the service and operator manuals for an AN920, PDF preferred. I have one that seems to have lost its way and would like to repair it. And, actually, here's a shot of the diagnostic screen, maybe you could provide some insight? That would be awesome.

Last edited by awyeah on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Radio: AD8G
https://ad8g.net
SmokChsr
New User

COM 120B Display HV short

Post by SmokChsr »

Well darn just a little bit ago my Com 120B killed the display. I haven't gone inside yet, but I could here a HV DC short going on inside and the display flickered each time then another good snap and it was gone.
My question is has anyone else had experience with this issue? I haven't looked inside yet, I have to clean my bench up a bit before I can dig into this. I'm hoping I can clear the short and everything will come back to life. But....
SmokChsr
New User

COM 120B Display HV short

Post by SmokChsr »

Well I took it apart, and found the originating point. Now I'll have to finish repairing that and see if it comes back to life.
On the display power supply board it arched between R17 and what I think is a ground trace. R17 got hot, and there is a significant carbon path in the board. I'll clean that out and put some conformal coating in there to fix that. Hopefully there was no additional damage caused and it will restore once the short is corrected.
SmokChsr
New User

Post by SmokChsr »

After a fair amount of grinding with the high speed rotary tool, and liberal applications of silicon conformal coating. I replaced R17 and the Cap, (they weren't actually damaged), I powered it back up and a nice bright display came up.

I was surprised at how deep I had to grind out the board to get all of carbon impregnated material out. Also as a note, while doing that I kept a dental pick in the R17 hole to protect it. I would have been damaged had I not. I also added conformal coating along the entire HV path. I did that with a swab, not by spraying.

So good ole IFR COM 120B #9225 is back in service for a bit longer.
SmokChsr
New User

Re: COM 120B Display HV short

Post by SmokChsr »

SmokChsr wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:46 pm
it arched between R17 and what I think is a ground trace. R17 got hot, and there is a significant carbon path in the board.
Just in case you didn't notice That was R11 and C17 in question. Both were replaced even though both were still good. The only for sure failure found was the board itself. C17 actually wasn't even involved in the failure other than being close to the arc and getting carbon splatted. It did show a slightly elevated ESR, so while it was out a new one jumped into its place.

I did apply conformal coating along the entire HV path to hopefully prevent this from happening again.
Mruble
New User

Post by Mruble »

I have an IFR-2975. When doing the procedure for return loss, the return loss bridge I have is not very linear in the frequency range of interest. It is possible to store the plot of the unterminated bridge then use that to get the difference between it and the device under test? Alternatively, is it possible to store the plots as files, then I can download them to a PC and write a a program to do the math? If so, how?

Thanks,
vk3st
New User

Post by vk3st »

I have an IFR AN1820 Spectrum Analyzer with option 02 Tracking generator.
In the auto test sequence, I suddenly have a fail in the Phase Noise at item 1 showing error 100Mhz @ 10Khz
The 1820 seems to function in the areas I have been using it but would like to be able to understand why this error when the second test for Noise Floor (test 2) does not show any error..
Both auto cal procedures including the YIG pass with no errors.
Would love to get hold of the seemingly unobtanium Service manual or even just a layout of modules identified.
Think that the AN1820 is probably a milspec where as I am sure that there will be an equivalent model with a different badging.
Loads of looking at Dr Google gives me more questions and no answers.
Any clues please?
ian@ian-foster.com

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”