R2600CHS Issues

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vhacmowilmob
New User
What radios do you own?: Sabers and Maxtracs

R2600CHS Issues

Post by vhacmowilmob »

We have an R2600 here at the hospital where I work. It seems to have issues...

When we first turn it on, it goes through this ungodly long calibration routine. It literally takes almost 10 minutes before it can be used. Also, it doesn't appear to want to save any settings.

Robert hasn't found the manual for it yet, so we can't figure out of the calibration is supposed to happen at every power up or not, but we know something is up since it won't save settings.

Is there a battery in this thing or something, and do we need to send it to M to be repaired, or can we do it ourselves?

Thanks for any advice.
xmo

Re: R2600CHS Issues

Post by xmo »

There is a rechargable memory back-up battery in these instruments. When it fails, the unit will go through a cal cycle on every power-up.

The battery is a three cell pack soldered in place on the back side of the processsor card. It is labeled: "Plainview Batteries PMB 3.6 B" and measures 0.89 dia X 0.47 thick with welded on solder tabs.

A local battery company may be able to replicate it once you remove it from the instrument. You must disassemble the machine and remove the processor card to gain access to the battery. The test equipment depot will probably include the battery replacement if you send the instrument in for calibration.
ChanceWolf
What radios do you own?: Saber R, Micom XF, R2600B, MXs

Post by ChanceWolf »

http://www.energexbatteries.com/product ... s-PMB-3.6b

I'm ordering one this week. Hopefully it'll work.
N6QDY
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Tait, Kenwood, etc..

Post by N6QDY »

That was good information guys, thanks! My R2600 was doing the same until my company sent it in for cal' I thought the self cal was something that was inadvertently programmed into the
Service monitor...
Also, have any of you ever changed the CRT on these R2600CHS and do you know where there maybe a parts store for these units?
Finally, do you know if these units will accodmodate an external display?

Sorry for all the questions, just had to ask..

Thanks again!

David
David De vera
ChanceWolf
What radios do you own?: Saber R, Micom XF, R2600B, MXs

Post by ChanceWolf »

N6QDY wrote:Also, have any of you ever changed the CRT on these R2600CHS and do you know where there maybe a parts store for these units?
Finally, do you know if these units will accodmodate an external display?
The A and B model (not sure about the C) have a DB-9 connector on the carrying-handle side to which you can hook up a CGA monitor. Evidently the resulting display will even be colour. We had that setup when I worked AMPS Cellular, though the monitor we used was monochrome.

I don't know of any source for the CRTs or anything resembling an R2600 'junkyard', unfortunately. There was some talk on another thread about the CRTs being unobtanium - but it was hard to discern from the thread whether they were talking about the R2600s or the earlier R2001s etc.
vhacmowilmob
New User
What radios do you own?: Sabers and Maxtracs

Post by vhacmowilmob »

To resurrect this thread, we just got the 2600 back from Motorola. They installed a new battery, new mic jack (the old one was wonky) and calibrated it. It cost about $1200 and took two weeks. Not too shabby in my opinion... and I can use the SA without waiting for 1000 years for it to boot!

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”