Unbelieveable!!! IFR Mike

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Andy Corbin

Unbelieveable!!! IFR Mike

Post by Andy Corbin »

I have been following an ebay auction for an IFR service monitor mike.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

As of this posting the bid was at $165.00. NOT a misprint. One Hundred Sixty Five Dollars!!

The thing is if you look around you can get this EXACT same mike for about $5 or so. The only difference being, the $5 mike has "Regency" on the front instead of "IFR". No rewiring, no modifications needed, plug and play. Even the numbers on the back of the mike are the same. The "Regency" mike works with the IFR 500, 1200, and 1500 series.

Andy
W4KDN
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Unbelieveable!!! IFR Mike

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Assuming that the bidders are smart enough to know what a service monitor is and have the ability to use it, it just seems impossible that they'd be so ignorant about microphones to bid this thing up to where it is. However, years ago I picked up a microphone from the Lafayette Radio closeout box in New York City that was the same exact hand mic that Collins Radio sold for their KWM2 transceivers. I paid three bucks for the Lafayette unit and many years later sold it on eBay for $50 to a Collins collector. Go figure on both deals.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Assuming that the bidders are smart enough to know what a service monitor is and have the ability to use it, it just seems impossible that they'd be so ignorant about microphones to bid this thing up to where it is. However, years ago I picked up a microphone from the Lafayette Radio closeout box in New York City that was the same exact hand mic that Collins Radio sold for their KWM2 transceivers. I paid three bucks for the Lafayette unit and many years later sold it on eBay for $50 to a Collins collector. Go figure on both deals.
I took my p-touch label maker, made a label with "ifr" on it, did the $160 upgrade by affixing it over "Regency" on the front of the mike. :lol:
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Dayum! I knew our older gear held its value but that's insane! It was over $202 when I last looked.

And yes, Regency mikes are the same, as the company used to be the same.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I wonder if the folks bidding on this mic will give me change for a five in twentys.
WB6DGN

Post by WB6DGN »

Several months ago I tried to find a mic. for my HP service monitor. I called Agilent on the off chance that they may still have them in stock. Sure enough, the tech. support rep. found one in stock in their Germany office. I told him I didn't mind paying shipping from Germany so he checked the price of the mic. List price was $775.00 plus shipping. We never got to discussing what that shipping would have been. I did argue at some length that that price must be an error and he agreed with me but would not do anything to try to get it adjusted. His claim was that he would get in trouble by bringing such a trivial matter to someone high enough to be able to do something about it. The shame of it is that, sooner or later, that mic. is going to be thrown out as unsellable and NObody will be able to benefit from it.
By the way, does anybody know if those Regency mics. are hiZ? That might work for my HP as well.
t95mwp
Batboard $upporter

Post by t95mwp »

No actually I tried to order pouch case for IFR 2947 and it is $1000 and the handle that broke even they claim quality is $370. IFR is just big time rip of company that doing to everybody.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

You can buy a $2 bill for just $10! HURRY!

https://www.parkbillstv.com/flare/next
WB6DGN

Post by WB6DGN »

You can buy a $2 bill for just $10! HURRY!

https://www.parkbillstv.com/flare/next
What does this have to do with the issue at hand???
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

It means that there's a sucker born every minute, like paying $165 for a $10 microphone,
or paying $10 for a $2 bill, that's all.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
WB6DGN

Post by WB6DGN »

SORRY! I had a personal issue and was worried sick about my dog. That was uncalled for. I apologize.
Tom
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

WB6DGN wrote:
SORRY! I had a personal issue and was worried sick about my dog. That was uncalled for. I apologize.
Tom
No worries. Understandable and easily forgiven. I hope your dog pulls through.

And thank you to Tom for figuring out just the right way to phrase a response.

All the Best.

Bill

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”