Service Monitor

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JD

Service Monitor

Post by JD »

I currently have a HP 8920A monitor. I would like to also have a backup unit. Since HP no longer supports these, I do not know how much longer parts will be available , I would like to know what are other good units that you use.

Thanks and Merry Christmas !!!!!
Andy Corbin

Re: Service Monitor

Post by Andy Corbin »

JD wrote:I currently have a HP 8920A monitor. I would like to also have a backup unit. Since HP no longer supports these, I do not know how much longer parts will be available , I would like to know what are other good units that you use.

Thanks and Merry Christmas !!!!!

And Merry Christmas to you also.

Kinda like asking a crowd of people, which is better, a Chevy or a Ford. Mostly personal preference. I have had several Cushmans over the years, all being CE50's and they have been fairly reasonable. Again, you have an issue of support. These units are old and the capacitors are getting old and oscillators are drifting but they are not bad units.

I switched to IFR. I currently have an IFR1500 for my bench and an IFR500 to tote around. Both are good solid units. I also have a Motorola R2400. No a bad unit. Easy to use and very intuitive on the controls.

I would probably stay away from the Helper and Ramsey Com3. While they may be "OK", they are not really high end units.

Just my $.02 worth. YMMV.

Andy
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The 8920s/8921s are extremely hard to beat. Parts are still plentiful. What about picking up a spare one?

Other monitors commonly found on the used market in a similar class to the 8920 are the IFR1600/1900 (which has a horrible user interface... and absolutely horrid buffering when attempting to tune a filter using the spec-an/TG), the IFR Com120B (an excellent box), the HP 8924 (bench queen), the the Moto R26xx family (had one, didn't like it).
radio_05

Post by radio_05 »

I agree, one of the reasons of owning an 8920 is the current parts availability.

And, if your monitor falls down a flight of stairs, it will become an organ donor for your other unit. If you're not using this for fieldwork, I would stick with another 8920.

For fieldwork, something like the 1200-s or 500A (if your needs are minimal) would be a better fit, the 8920 is way too heavy to be lugging it around.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

If you want heavy. Years ago I used to pm a fleet of school buses with a Cushman CE6a in one hand and a Honda generator in the other. When I got an IFR 1000S I was in heaven.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

GlennD wrote:If you want heavy. Years ago I used to pm a fleet of school buses with a Cushman CE6a in one hand and a Honda generator in the other. When I got an IFR 1000S I was in heaven.
Wouldn't it be easier to put carry handles on the buses and lug them to the service monitor? :lol:

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”