R2600chs won't boot

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ljohn6
New User
What radios do you own?: Kenwood,Icom,Hytera

R2600chs won't boot

Post by ljohn6 »

Ok here's the issue I have a R2600chs when I turn it on it shows boot rom pass then goes to the motorola copyright screen and stops. I have replaced the back up battery on the mother board and tested the 10 mhz std I do not have a service manual any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated all connectors have been claened and reseated not sure where to go from here.
Thanks For any help John
ChanceWolf
What radios do you own?: Saber R, Micom XF, R2600B, MXs

Re: R2600chs won't boot

Post by ChanceWolf »

Just had the same problem on mine. Found that if it sticks on the splash screen, just flick the 10 Mhz Reference Oscillator switch from INTERNAL (where it is now) to EXTERNAL and then back to INTERNAL again (with the power on.) Unsticks the machine every time for me. Tried looking for poor solder connections, cable problems etc.on the Refence Oscillator Board itself and tried reflowing a few dodgy looking solder connections but...no dice. For now the workaround for me is the process outlined above.
ChanceWolf
What radios do you own?: Saber R, Micom XF, R2600B, MXs

Post by ChanceWolf »

I thought I had two problems but apparently just the one. I ordered another 10 Mhz reference oscillator board and another NVM battery - and the NVM battery arrived first. Replaced it, booted the unit, let it go through Cal and left it on for a bit to give the NIMH NVM pack a chance to charge. Turned it off, rebooted, and...hey! It doesn't stick on the Splash screen anymore and goes right back to my previously entered freqs and settings etc. with no problems whatsoever.

I'm *guessing* that it needs the NVM battery to be live to get past the Splash screen on boot. I'll leave mine off for a couple of hours and see what happens but I think it's fixed, and I'll just put my 10 Mhz replacement board in stock for future eventualities.
ljohn6
New User
What radios do you own?: Kenwood,Icom,Hytera

Post by ljohn6 »

I replaced the battery but that did not help. I will try flipping from internal to external and back and see what happens. thanks for the suggestions

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”