Motorola Service Monitor R2001D HS 2003D 2008D 2038D

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KA9QJGDON
New User

Motorola Service Monitor R2001D HS 2003D 2008D 2038D

Post by KA9QJGDON »

I have a Friend who has a Motorola Service Monitor R2001D HS 2003D 2008D 2038D and ask me a question which I do not have an answer. He wants to know if you use this in the Spectrum analyzer Mode can you hear the audio from the Signal. I had a 2001C And I know this was not possible , This one He said has a lot of options and a 5 Pin din plug on the side for audio . Does anyone have a answer if He can receive the audio and see the Spec anz at the same time

Thanks

Don KA9QJG
xmo

Re: Motorola Service Monitor R2001D HS 2003D 2008D 2038D

Post by xmo »

No - he can't hear audio with the spectrum analyzer display active. That feature [See and Hear] was introduced in the R2600 series.

The 5 pin DIN connector on the side of the R2001D series is a serial port for connection to a printer.

The printer capability only supports printing the on screen text and bar graphs, not the scope or spectrum analyzer displays.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

xmo wrote:No - he can't hear audio with the spectrum analyzer display active. That feature [See and Hear] was introduced in the R2600 series.

The 5 pin DIN connector on the side of the R2001D series is a serial port for connection to a printer.

The printer capability only supports printing the on screen text and bar graphs, not the scope or spectrum analyzer displays.

I can see the spectrum spike and hear the signal at the same time on my Motorola R2400.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Andy Corbin wrote:
xmo wrote:No - he can't hear audio with the spectrum analyzer display active. That feature [See and Hear] was introduced in the R2600 series.

I can see the spectrum spike and hear the signal at the same time on my Motorola R2400.
The R2400 series has a dual front end. That is why you can hear the audio with the spectrum analyzer. The R2000 series does not have a dual front end.

The R2000D printer capability WILL print the scope and spectrum analyzer displays if the graphics print (IBM/Epson) is selected.
Dave
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...The R2000D printer capability WILL print the scope and spectrum analyzer displays if the graphics print (IBM/Epson) is selected."
-------------------------------------------------------

No. It won't.

It is impossible for a 2001 to send analog trace data to a printer. Think about it for a minute. Look at a service manual. There is no digitizer in these instruments.

The scope and spectrum analyzer displays in all R2001's are produced by direct analog deflection of the CRT beam. That's why they use that spendy electrostatic deflection scope tube.

2600's do digitize everything - scope and spectrum analyzer traces as well as user interface txt - all of which is displayed together on a raster scan magnetic deflection tube or external graphics monitor. These instruments can print everything that they can display.

Fact.
KA9QJGDON
New User

Post by KA9QJGDON »

Maybe someone can give Me a better Idea of What I need

What I like to do is be able to tune a Few Radios Maybe a Duplexer . Help out a Few Repeater owners , But to mostly be able to look a a Spectrum display at a wide Bandwidth see the whole band example the 2 Meter Ham band , See a peak rapidly tune to that with a VFO type knob not a clicking type ID That by Freq, Pl , Signal , And HEAR it Etc.

I have been told the Best bang for the buck is the R2600 Any other Ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Don KA9QJG L
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

xmo wrote:"...The R2000D printer capability WILL print the scope and spectrum analyzer displays if the graphics print (IBM/Epson) is selected."
-------------------------------------------------------

No. It won't.

It is impossible for a 2001 to send analog trace data to a printer. Think about it for a minute. Look at a service manual. There is no digitizer in these instruments.

The scope and spectrum analyzer displays in all R2001's are produced by direct analog deflection of the CRT beam. That's why they use that spendy electrostatic deflection scope tube.

2600's do digitize everything - scope and spectrum analyzer traces as well as user interface txt - all of which is displayed together on a raster scan magnetic deflection tube or external graphics monitor. These instruments can print everything that they can display.

Fact.
WRONG! Don't argue with the first technician ever to service the "D" model. The IBM/Epson selection allows for a graphics dump from the processor. The printer MUST BE an IBM or Epson, serial interfaced, 9 pin dot matrix printer with graphics capability, but IT DOES WORK! The print out is slow, but it is possible.
Dave
KA9QJGDON
New User

Post by KA9QJGDON »

Dave You are still a Good American You worked at Motorola , I like Motorola Equipment so much I would of been the Janitor working Midnights so I could look and pay with all the Equipment . at 64 Used it in The USN And Law Enforcement now Ham Radio and have a Modified Micor Unified Chassis on 444.750 and a Micor Mobile Mod Repeater on 224.740 , I never have to do anything except kick the rack one in awhile . , Got caught about 45 Yrs ago Dumpster diving at Motorola in Schaumburg Had a PD Sgt Badge in My Pocket they Looked at Me strange and sent me on My way Ha Ha but I still dumpster dive at 64 With Permission from the Owner of our Local Mot Two way Shop one day I will probably fall in and not be able to get out , But what a way to go Me and all My Motorola Stuff I just hope the Wife of 44 Yrs charges the Batt on My HT In the Casket lol

Dave

Maybe You can answer my question which is Can you give Me a better Idea of What I need

What I like to do is be able to tune a Few Radios Maybe a Duplexer . Help out a Few Repeater owners , But to mostly be able to look a a Spectrum display at a wide Bandwidth see the whole band example the 2 Meter Ham band , See a peak rapidly tune to that with a VFO type knob not a clicking type ID That by Freq, Pl , Signal , And HEAR it Etc.

I have been told the Best bang for the buck is the R2600 Any other Ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Don KA9QJG
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

DJP126 wrote: WRONG! Don't argue with the first technician ever to service the "D" model. The IBM/Epson selection allows for a graphics dump from the processor. The printer MUST BE an IBM or Epson, serial interfaced, 9 pin dot matrix printer with graphics capability, but IT DOES WORK! The print out is slow, but it is possible.
Don't you hate it when this happens? This reminds me of the time somebody was transferred to me with a COM-120B LTR question, and swore that the received values were copied to the TX, and argued with me when I said it wasn't. "I wrote the code, I have the code open, the code doesn't do that. QED."
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

KA9QJGDON wrote:Dave You are still a Good American You worked at Motorola , I like Motorola Equipment so much I would of been the Janitor working Midnights so I could look and pay with all the Equipment . at 64 Used it in The USN And Law Enforcement now Ham Radio and have a Modified Micor Unified Chassis on 444.750 and a Micor Mobile Mod Repeater on 224.740 , I never have to do anything except kick the rack one in awhile . , Got caught about 45 Yrs ago Dumpster diving at Motorola in Schaumburg Had a PD Sgt Badge in My Pocket they Looked at Me strange and sent me on My way Ha Ha but I still dumpster dive at 64 With Permission from the Owner of our Local Mot Two way Shop one day I will probably fall in and not be able to get out , But what a way to go Me and all My Motorola Stuff I just hope the Wife of 44 Yrs charges the Batt on My HT In the Casket lol

Dave

Maybe You can answer my question which is Can you give Me a better Idea of What I need

Thanks Don KA9QJG
Don, the R2600 series would be a good choice (a "D" model if you can or at least a "C") or one of the newer Aeroflex/IFR models could probably do what you want. Wowbagger should be able to confirm this & which model.

Yes Wowbagger, at times people just don't realize what their equipment can and can't do.
Dave
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

DJP126 wrote:
Don, the R2600 series would be a good choice (a "D" model if you can or at least a "C") or one of the newer Aeroflex/IFR models could probably do what you want. Wowbagger should be able to confirm this & which model.
Being that the thread was Moto specific I normally wouldn't chime in on Aeroflex gear unless directly asked.

But, now that I've been asked: I'd look at the COM-120B or C, 1600S, or 1200S in surplus. The Marconi 2945 wouldn't be bad, but IMNSHO it's not as good as the 120 (though obviously I have co-workers who would disagree with me on the other side of the pond).

All of the above can sweep the whole 2M band while receiving, have tracking generator options, etc. The 120 can print to a printer on serial (much like the Moto, it has to be an Epson compatible printer) or save screen captures to a file.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
KA9QJGDON
New User

Post by KA9QJGDON »

Thanks for all the Help I really appreciate it , I did not want to start a New Thread , So can anyone Please tell Me What Motorola Mics without any Mods will just Plug into the Motorola R-2600 And Work , I have a bunch collected over the yrs and If necessary a Friend who could Put the right plug on one

Thanks

Don KA9QJG

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”