Looking for a Service Monitor

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Omniiv
New User

Looking for a Service Monitor

Post by Omniiv »

I am new to the group and am looking for suggestions on which service monitor(s) I should consider. I want a unit that will be able to handle HF SSB transceivers, VHF and UHF FM radios, and can tune duplexers. I would like something as close to bulletproof as I can get that is not a pain to service and maintain.
RFguy

Re: Looking for a Service Monitor

Post by RFguy »

New or used?

If used, look at the IFR1200S.

Not sure about it's ability to do SSB though.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

RFguy wrote:New or used?

If used, look at the IFR1200S.

Not sure about it's ability to do SSB though.

I believe that if you look at the modulation selection switch, you will see the SSB selection at the 12 O'clock position.

As for tuning cavities, you might be better off in looking at maybe the COM120B for that application.

Jim
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

The IFR1200S had a tracking generator option that is required for tuning cavities. Is has an analog display so is a bit difficult seeing less than 1 dB resolution for items such as insertion loss.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Omniiv wrote:I am new to the group and am looking for suggestions on which service monitor(s) I should consider. I want a unit that will be able to handle HF SSB transceivers, VHF and UHF FM radios, and can tune duplexers. I would like something as close to bulletproof as I can get that is not a pain to service and maintain.
HP 89XX series is a good choice. Be aware to check the size and weight as some of them are portable and others are bench queens.

Some of the IFR 1200 series have the tracking generator (tuning duplexers) function, other don't. You will need to verify the options before buying. Not certain about the SSB capabilities on the IFR 1200's.

The IFR 1500 series has everything you mentioned. Tracking generator and SSB are standard. Be aware some of the attenuators on the IFR 1500 series have been somewhat of a problem to some users. If you can get an electronic attenuator, they have been pretty reliable.

The IFR 1600 and 1900 series will also do what you want. While they have many of the features you were looking for, they also incorporate a lot of features you will have no use for such as cell phone service.

There are some cheaper service monitors on the market. The Ramsey Com3 and the Helper monitors are small and lightweight, but are essentially "bare bones" and lack a lot of what you are looking for.
Omniiv
New User

Post by Omniiv »

Are any of the Motorola Service Monitors any good? I have never seen one in person let alone used one. There is an IFR 1200S in one of the shops I do some work in. I have not been overly impressed with it because it seems to be a bit squirrely and somewhat inconsistent with repeatability. They are also a bit rich for my budget. I was hoping to spend about $2,500 or so. If my experience with the 1200S is not typical and they are the best out there, I guess I will have to wait for a while to get one.
Omniiv
New User

Post by Omniiv »

Are any of the Morotola Service Monitors any good? In particular I am considering the R-2400A/HS. I know it does not do SSB but I may be willing to give that feature up as I can always listen to any radio with another receiver.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Omniiv wrote:Are any of the Morotola Service Monitors any good? In particular I am considering the R-2400A/HS. I know it does not do SSB but I may be willing to give that feature up as I can always listen to any radio with another receiver.
Thr R2400A is a good monitor for general radio work, but as you noted, no SSB & no tracking generator. The R2000D series will give you the SSB capability but again, no tracking generator. The R2600 series gives you the tracking generator but they dropped the SSB capability.
Dave
Omniiv
New User

Post by Omniiv »

A friend of mine told me he knows where there is a R-2600C at a company that is going out of business. All of their equipment is going to be put up for auction, but he has some inside connections and I may be able to aquire it before the auction. How good is this unit and what should I expect to pay for one. I think it is just the standard system with none of the cell options, which I do not need.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Omniiv wrote:A friend of mine told me he knows where there is a R-2600C at a company that is going out of business. All of their equipment is going to be put up for auction, but he has some inside connections and I may be able to aquire it before the auction. How good is this unit and what should I expect to pay for one. I think it is just the standard system with none of the cell options, which I do not need.
The R2600C is the top of the line analyzer designed by Motorola's Test Equipment Systems in their Government Electronics Group. That group (along with the product & manufacturing has since been sold to General Dynamics). The most current model is the R2600D. The R2600 is the basic unit, the model number changes with the options. IIRC, a new unit sold for around $12,500 U.S. new.
Dave

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”