BK Radios, anybody using or have experience with them?

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

BK Radios, anybody using or have experience with them?

Post by randymince »

Looking for overall opinion on BK Radios, got some demo units, KNG-P800.

Initially going through some of the radio programming I had a couple of questions, regarding importing software system keys to populate trunking systems, so we can actually demo these things.

The help file says the system key is generated by BK. Does that entail sending current keys, and having BK send them back in the appropriate format/extension?

This is my first experience with this vendor and model radio, so be gentle.
...And that's how radios work
Jim202

Re: BK Radios, anybody using or have experience with them?

Post by Jim202 »

randymince wrote:Looking for overall opinion on BK Radios, got some demo units, KNG-P800.

Initially going through some of the radio programming I had a couple of questions, regarding importing software system keys to populate trunking systems, so we can actually demo these things.

The help file says the system key is generated by BK. Does that entail sending current keys, and having BK send them back in the appropriate format/extension?

This is my first experience with this vendor and model radio, so be gentle.

Wouldn't it be easier to just call BK and get your answer first hand? I am sure they will ask some detailed questions that only you will have the answers to.

Jim
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

What a slack answer. Yeah, every radio vendor I've ever talked to promises you the world. It's nice to discuss a radio with people out in the field who have to support them, kind of the whole point of these forums, right?
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

tuckerm wrote:What a slack answer. Yeah, every radio vendor I've ever talked to promises you the world. It's nice to discuss a radio with people out in the field who have to support them, kind of the whole point of these forums, right?

You don't always get the correct answer on here. I have been around the radio field a long time and have found out that most of the vendors work with those that call the tech services section for help. If you haven't had to call, then don't call my answer a slack comment.

If you got the bums rush from the vendor, I have to question how you approached the problem with them. The only vendor that will generally give you a hard time is Motorola. Harris may or may not, depending on the age of the radio. If you ask for the name of the tech your talking with, that generally breaks the ice. The tech should ask for your email address, so information can be sent to you.

Jim
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Jim202 wrote:
tuckerm wrote:What a slack answer. Yeah, every radio vendor I've ever talked to promises you the world. It's nice to discuss a radio with people out in the field who have to support them, kind of the whole point of these forums, right?

You don't always get the correct answer on here. I have been around the radio field a long time and have found out that most of the vendors work with those that call the tech services section for help. If you haven't had to call, then don't call my answer a slack comment.

If you got the bums rush from the vendor, I have to question how you approached the problem with them. The only vendor that will generally give you a hard time is Motorola. Harris may or may not, depending on the age of the radio. If you ask for the name of the tech your talking with, that generally breaks the ice. The tech should ask for your email address, so information can be sent to you.

Jim
He was just asking if anyone had experience with the BK radios. Not a right or wrong answer on a question. No need to call tech support.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Please read the original post again.
randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

Post by randymince »

The first part of the question was generic, since they were demos, I just wanted an overall opinion if anybody had experience with the radios.

The next question was thrown out there for my own knowledge, because tech support wasn't responding in a timely manner, and I was curious about the whole process and if it was even worth the hassle.

Got the radios functioning after about 3 weeks waiting on the key from BK.

Jim, thanks for explaining how to communicate effectively with tech support to achieve desired results. The part about giving my e-mail address to the person I am talking to, for further exchange of information, is simply mind blowing. Now that I have the tools and confidence, I can finally for the first time as a technician call tech support.

This is the first time since I have posted on this forum that I have had anything close to some of the ridiculous replies I just read.

The internet....it's a love hate relationship.
...And that's how radios work
jban
What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Post by jban »

BK's widely used in AZ because of USFS interface needs. They work well for the forestry side. I personally did not care for them but for disaster or large scale operations they are easy to clone. If using in the fire service world...not a big fan.
John B
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Post is 3 years old dont know if the OP is still around.....

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”