P25, Amateur Radio, and the Future

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

smartso
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, JT1000, HT1000, GP300

P25, Amateur Radio, and the Future

Post by smartso »

Digital voice modes, specifically P25, has for quite some time carried with it a certain stigma when used in reference to the amateur community. Many people especially those in my local club have shunned the use of P25 compatible radios due to it being difficult to obtain "mainstream" P25 ham equipment.

Well my friends, the times are a changin' and soon P25 will be easily accessible to the ham community. Recently a fellow user forwarded me a PDF document outlining Yaesu's (Vertex) plans to release a P25 capable amateur model sometime 2012. This is a quite exciting development because my club's P25 capable repeater may actually see some digital use.

The document can be found HERE at Yaesu's website. The document outlines the details surrounding the history and operation of digital modes and compares it, unbiased, to analogue. This also provides an excellent introduction to P25 and how it works. Please check it out.

So as we progress into the future, I was just wondering if any other BB members have had good/bad/ugly experiences with P25 voice on the amateur bands. Any luck implementing it in your clubs/communities?

Thanks for reading, 73.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: P25, Amateur Radio, and the Future

Post by Wowbagger »

This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
smartso
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, JT1000, HT1000, GP300

Re: P25, Amateur Radio, and the Future

Post by smartso »

Open mouth, insert foot. Sometimes I forget Yaesu is owned by /\/\.

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”